Basic framing

Building a shop what is the best method for making 2x4 and 2x6?is it using the warehouse or component I just want to pull them for length and cut to size!

Personally I’d make my own components for something as simple as framing lumber. It would be easier than making components from the 3D Warehouse work. There are some different extensions you could use but again, for something like your shop, I think it would be just as easy to make your own components.

1 Like

Every time I have framed something, I have drawn the profile of the material I want to use (they are almost all rectangles). You CAN pull something from 3DWH, but in this case, that seems like extra work.

2 Likes

I agree except sizes vary each time I make them and I just want a standard 1.5 x 3.5 for 2x4 always

1 Like

There’s absolutely no reason you can’t make them 1.5x3.5 if that’s what you want. If you are finding that difficult, I would suggest you spend some time with the Getting Started videos and learn the basics of SketchUp before you try to model your shop. Even if you do use components from the 3D Warehouse or an extension, you need to know how to draw basic shapes precisely.

Agree all answers here. Draw a rectangle for the section size and push pull to length required. How hard can that be?

2 Likes

A modest amount of self-study will save you hours of frustration.
See these relevant video tutorials.

Rectangle Tool

Push/Pull

Components

Copies and Arrays

1 Like