Basic Accuracy Help

As a re-learning exercise I’ve taken a piece of a project and redrawn it from scratch using numeric input and the rectangle tool whenever possible.

Wondering if someone could take a look at this in my file. I’ve checked many many angles and many many line measurements. Yet when I draw the highlighted line (numeric input to 15’) - Entity Info reads 3/32" off at 14’ - 11 29/32". I’m stumped.

DLHouse Model.skp (1.6 MB)

Select both edges for the size pursued, or delete both and draw a single line
lin-04

And for visibility control it’s better to use Tags instead of Hidden objects

1 Like

Thank you.
Will study this.
… and yes, I’ll be moving into the Tag realm asap.
again much thanks.

It would be a huge help if you’d turn off the extensions in your style. That would make it easier to see problems with your drawing.

If you do that and zoom in on that corner…

…you’ll see where your problem is.

As I’ve suggested before, your modeling style should have a different color for the back faces, too. With the style you are using it’s impossible to identify exposed back faces.

2 Likes

No more delay
Making that Style change now.

1 Like

So made the Style change and began checking the model of that cube.
It’s off all over the place.
So next time you make a suggestion I don’t think I’ll be waiting around to implement it.

PS - would you mind posting a screenshot of the color setting for your background color. I like the saturation of the tone and have not been able to replicate it.

1 Like

Mouse click on color box

Stumped again.
The vertical distance between the green dot and the red square should be 4" exactly, yet I keep getting: ~4" when I draw and measure.
So I checked for 90 degree angles all round and found what is showing in the screen shot: the ends of those lines do not line up.
Yet on the other end I can’t seem to find the error. All angles seem to measure true 90 and the lines measure true 25’6"

DLHouse Model.skp (1.6 MB)

RLGL - thanks. I’ve been using the color wheel. Is it best practice to use RGB?
… and what does RGB stand for … red, green blue?

1 Like

Correct.

If you were directing that request to me, here’s what I use. It’s a color I wouldn’t use as a material in my models.
Screenshot - 5_23_2021 , 11_01_58 AM

I don’t know that there is a best practice unless you are trying to match the red, green, and blue values to some specific color. That’s difficult to do with the color wheel.

How did you go about creating those two lines? Especially the lower one? Note the Y- and Z-values in the coordinates. the should be identical in all four but the lower line is off axis a wee bit.

I noticed when I opened your model that you have the camera set to Parallel Projection. Generally it is better and easier to model with the camera set to Perspective. Save Parallel Projection for output.

Thanks Daver. Yes, I specifically was curious how you set up for the tone of that green.
It seems to have “depth” not just visually stopping hard at the surface.

1 Like

How did you find those “coordinates” that you show in that screenshot ?
Three sets of numbers for each line: x,y,z values respectively right?

… the last attempt at drawing that lower line I used the Line tool in the most straight forward manner possible.

… I have a standard issue HP mouse. Wonder if it slips.

The coordinates are put in with the Text tool. If you click on an endpoint it’ll default to giving you coordinates. (you’ll need to open the group for editing so you can click on the endpoints directly. i changed the model units to Decimal Inches and set precision as high as it would go before adding the coordinates.

If you are doing your modeling with the Camera set to Parallel Projection, you could be getting things a little off axis. Further poking in your model shows you’ve rotated the group relative to the model axes and things are slightly off axis. Is this drawn entirely within SketchUp or did it start from a CAD import?

I started from scratch with a SU file and imported a CAD site survey first thing, then built the model in position on the site and off axis from the reset position. I won’t be doing that in the future.
At this point I’ve copied the model into a new SU file oriented to the default axis position.

Thanks for tip on parallel projection. Most of the modeling I’ve been doing in perspective, but switched to parallel when I couldn’t track down the micro - inaccuracies thinking the opposite of what you are telling me.

HUGELY helpful.

Do you still have all the hidden stuff?

Oh yeah

That’s one of the things about the internet, you may get an answer but there is no guarantee that you will understand it.

1 Like

I think I suggested this in the past but you might find it easier to do the modeling of the structure without the site survey and then add it in the correct location.

I gave redrawing your model a go making sure the walls actually have thickness from the beginning. Some of the dimensions were a bit strange so I rounded them a wee bit. Because I was modeling with the geometry aligned to the model axes, it was much easier to keep things aligned.

By the way, I see the incorrect tag usage again. Probably from the imported CAD file.
Screenshot - 5_23_2021 , 12_01_54 PM