Autosave not autosaving

So I just noticed that I am not AutoSaving, and back ups aren’t being made on the regular

I am using SketchUp 2019, Autosave is on for every 5 minutes, I am using Windows 10 64bit, and I redirected autosaving to my non-boot disk.

I’ve done the Googling and read past questions to no avail…

Anyone else having this issue?

Which version of 2019 are you using? If it’s not 19.1.173, you should upgrade (download here).

• On Windows, recovered files are now saved here: C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\SketchUp\SketchUp 2019\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles
  • On the Mac, recovered files are now saved here: ~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/working/SKETCHUP/Recovered Files

I am on 19.1.174

And only active files are there, nothing from past work

I didn’t know you could redirect where autosave goes to.

For the folder Mike gave, you would only see autosave files for work you have done since doing the 19.1 update. Before that the files were saved somewhere else. Also, each time you save a file, or close it without saving, the associated autosave file will be removed. Really, autosave files are mainly for if you get a crash, and when you open SketchUp again you will see the file marked as Recovered. In cases like that you would want to open the Recovered version, then Save As to where you want the file to be.

Did you upgrade from SU2018 to SU2019 M1 (19.1.174) directly, or did you upgrade from SU2019 M0 to M1?

Its a clean install of 2019 on a new machine

And I may have misspoke regarding autosave when I meant default model save location

Auto-save (aka, recovered files) are stored here:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\SketchUp\SketchUp 2019\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles

Backup files are saved in the default document directory, and have a .skb extension as opposed to the regular .skp file extension.

so you are saying that the autosave file is available after skp crashes? BUT only once? If i have to do a restart computer will it be there? (recovered files) Macos skp 19.1

Before 19.1, no, the auto save file would have be erased by macOS. With 19.1 the save is done to a folder that the system doesn’t erase. My folder shows five files, going back more than three weeks.

FYOOD

PC’s xxx.SKP backup files are in the same folder, named xxx.SKB
MAC’s xxx.SKP backup files are in the same folder, named xxx~.SKP

AutoSaved files are a separate thing - made to cover catastrophic failures - and as explained earlier, they are stored elsewhere…

I am having similar problems. Is there a clear document on how autosave works in the latest release. When does it save, where does it save, what are the restrictions on where it can save and how to you get them back. I upgraded yesterday and worked for an hour today without saving. It shows I have it set to autosave every 5 minutes and my model files are on my C: drive in W64. Yet I searched everywhere and can not find a current .skb file. Thanks

.skb file are .skp backup, not autosave files…

.skb files are created each time you open an existing model, so you can go ‘back’ to it when things go pear shaped…

Autosaved files are now hidden, and the same file is updated at the set interval until you close of model, when it is deleted…

if you crash, it is not deleted and automatically offered on next restart…

john

Where is this autosave in version version 21? I am loosing hours of work and my autosave is set to 5 minutes… When I export if I accidentally click out of Sketchup I get a crash…Just lost 1 hour work. I need these 5 minute autosaves.

If you have a SketchUp crash the auto saved last version should be available on the welcome screen at start up. It will have a red band across it and be labeled “Recovered”. Scroll down to see all the files there.

What endlessfix showed is the way you would normally continue from an auto save file, but, you could also take a peek into the auto save folder, and even if you don’t crash you could copy the latest auto save file out to a backup folder.

To get there, use the Go menu in Finder, choose Go to Folder…, and paste in this path:

~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2021/working/SKETCHUP/RecoveredFiles/

Something else that is useful is if your welcome screen has a long list of old recovered files, as shown in endless fix’s screenshot. You can go into that folder and delete all of the previous auto save files that you know you are never going to need. That will tidy up the welcome screen quite a bit.

1 Like

I’m now on 2019… It really doesn’t do autosaves… Sometimes it does… I have no idea when does what… But I crushed… I opened it and itoffered me a backup file… I agreed but that was my last save (so really traditional backup)… Maybe it was doing autosave but as soon as I opened the backup it was erased? At least it wasn’t there (in appdata/lacal…) when I checked folder… there were 2 *.tmp files… Icon suggested it was done when autosave was suppose to be … but sketchup doesn’t want to open it…

Your profile doesn’t match. 2019 won’t work on 32-bit Windows 7.

I was on Win7 32bit when I registered first on forum… now Win 10 64-bit but I don’t know where to chage it… I tried

Go to upper right corner of the page to your avatar picture…image

Demonstrating with mine:

1 Like

This is the folder for auto save files for SketchUp 2019. You can copy and paste this text into File Explorer to get there. Take a look, and see if files come and go while you are working:

%LocalAppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2019\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles

1 Like