Automatic face orientation for entire drawing

Dear Sketchup Experts,

I need support how to align face oriantation across the entrie drawing. The automatic face reverse extension doesn’t work in Sketchup 2026. The option right click + Orient faces works only for connected faces. There are just too many face in the drawing to reverse them manually. Any ideas are very welcome.

Best Marcel

I

Is the model correctly created using groups and components? Or is it just raw geometry?

at this stage raw geometry. Need to fix the face oriantation first before I create groups and components.

[quote=“Cotopaxi, post:1, topic:350433”] The option right click + Orient faces works only for connected faces
[/quote]

It has always been like that..
What extension do you mean?

Reversed faces like that are common when your order of operations is wrong. There are also a number of coplanar edges which need to be cleaned up and at least a couple of edges that are softened when they shouldn’t be. Did this start with edges from an imported CAD file?

Fixing the reversed faces is certainly possible but it’s a simple matter to avoid the reversed faces in the first place with the correct workflow. Part of that involves making groups and components as you go.

In SU 2026, I tested Didier’s extension - Automatic Face Reverser, and it works well.

Extension name is:

Didier Bur: Automatic Face Reverser v1.0x

Just checked with simple boxes like in your move. Thnaks for this. It works well but not in a more complex drawing.

You could try asking Claude.ai to build you an extension for this- perhaps it can find the inside-oriented faces and reverse them. Worth a try, then post it here if you get good results? I’ve done this with extensions I’ve wanted for 20 years! :slightly_smiling_face: For example…

ac_align_rotate_z.rbz (5.6 KB)

You can also test FrdoTools::AutoReverseFaces.

It’s a good thing you reminded me about the extension, Fredo. Thanks! I tested it, and it manages to solve the problem for the most part.

The even better part is that it works even if each of the buildings is a group, and all the groups together form a group.

Thanks. I am interested in the model to understand why it did not reverse all faces correctly.

fri-02.skp (4.8 MB)

  • The model prepared with some of the faces oriented in reverse.

Original 3D Warehouse model - city

I downloaded a more complex model (a section of a city), removed its base so that all the buildings became separate, independent geometry, and selected everything; then, using the Eneroth Random Selection extension, I randomly deselected some elements and reversed the faces of the remaining selection—thereby creating a complex, albeit poorly constructed, model for testing solutions.

Thanks, Fredo!

Hi Mihai, I checked again and I think the issue with the automatic face reverse is that it works only on volume bodys not on flat surface faces with no height. I would like to fix the face oriantation before I start push/pull.

Best, Marcel

I tested using whatever model I could create or find online. Only you know what your model looks like.

could you share the model?

I tested.

I flattened the 3D model into 2D and intersected the faces to ensure the resulting geometry was free of overlaps.
In SketchUp, the extension modified some of the faces but struggled to orient them all correctly.
I also tested it in Blender, and whether dealing with a 2D plane or a 3D model, the normals for all faces are recalculated correctly.

Edit Mode > Mesh > Normals > Recalculate Outside

Correct orientation of the faces for a 2D model - SketchUp & Blender (QA quick answer for forum)