As-built drawings/modeling

Hello folks! I have been working on a few whole-house remodeling projects recently, with a majority of projects needing a full set of “as built” plans for the county permit process. I only have access to original blueprints about half the time - and even then there is a real possibility of the house being built with changes here and there from the original design.

My process and workflow for modeling an existing structure seems clunky and inefficient. I am wondering how others might approach this type of project?

Photos and models included below.

3D Model of completed project: Chan Residence | 3D Warehouse

Completed plan set of project (dedacted): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZElG3HGED82n3tuoSnnyJD7RLWtyzfHQ/view?usp=sharing

Photos of current project:

Can you describe your process here? I think you’re more likely to get feedback/suggestions when you provide more specific information for others to go from.

I don’t have much of a workflow at the moment to be honest, but here is what I have done before:

With original blueprints:

• Convert PDF to DXF file with Inkscape.
  • Import DXF into sketchup and scale appropriately
  • Draw 2D walls and foundation linework ontop of imported floor plan
  • Print and take to site - confirm as many dimensions as possible.
  • Take pictures all around exterior or house
  • Use pictures, dimensions, and 2D floor plan to extrapolate out the structure and model in 3D (I have used the Match Photo for this with mixed results)

Without original blueprints:

• Take pictures all around exterior and interior of house
  • Collect as many dimensions as possible - interior and exterior
  • Use pictures and dimensions to extrapolate out the structure and model in 3D (I have used the Match Photo for this with mixed results)