Any way to flag bad models in 3D warehouse?

Just fought with a model that was taking 3-5 minutes to load. SUPro boots fine, just could not load this model today without 3-5 minutes of (program not responding) message. Tried troubleshooting per many many threads here, including graphics drivers, Windows 10 updates,…
Turns out it was a set of twisted table legs I’d loaded from 3D warehouse. They’ve been in the model for numerous sessions, but they caused several bug-splats when I attempted to re-scale them yesterday. So I tried saving a new version after deleting them, and It’s loading in seconds now, like normal.
New HP Omen laptop with ssd for Win10 system, NVIDIA Geforce GTX dedicated card.

So- any way to flag that 3D model to save others the two hours of non-productivity in their business that I just experienced?

Jeff

1 Like

You can add a comment if you navigate to the component/model through your browser if the author hasn’t disabled comments.

Are you referring to this component? It does have some issues.

It’s generally considered good practice to open components in a separate SketchUp file, inspect, and repair them as needed before inserting them into your main model. This helps to prevent issues such as you describe.

I would draw something like that myself rather than depending on someone else and I’d make sure the component is considered a solid by SketchUp before using it in a model.

2 Likes

Indeed, that’s the culprit. Designing a large home on the fly, trying to draft at the speed of designer’s thoughts, so I’ve been hitting the 3D warehouse heavily lately. Discovering all you’ve recommended is very good advice. I’ll take these steps in the future.

Thanks!

1 Like

To flag a model on the warehouse, click the ‘flag’ icon under the model title on the model page.

1 Like

I urge people to be broad-minded when it comes to judging a model to be “bad.” It might be bad for your purpose but ideal for someone else’s purpose.

One area I’m particularly sensitive to is level of detail. A little machine screw modeled with 100,000 faces is not needed for most situations, but just might be very good for others.

8 Likes

Agree completely. That’s why I (and others) always recommend that you download to an empty model and examine what you got to decide whether it is suitable for how you will use it. If you are modeling a house, a sink with over 50000 edges in just the drain strainer is not needed, but if you want a closeup I’d just the view into the sink maybe it’s ok.

3 Likes

It’s much faster when you scale the components, rather than the raw geometry. Scaling raw geometry gave me the spinning beach ball, but I could scale many components at once without lag.

If you don’t want high-poly components, then the sliders can help.
sliders

1 Like

Can you share the url, so we can teach users how to avoid these? There’s general tips, but it’d be nice to be specific.

I guess this is the role I’ve assumed on the 3D Warehouse, is to take models that I like, but are a pain to download, and “purge” them of excess materials, styles, or polygons. If anybody has seen a “Train Repair Guy” on the 3D Warehouse, that is me. :grinning::grimacing::expressionless:

Barry, the leg the OP was referring to is this one:

1 Like

When uploading to the 3D Warehouse from within SketchUp, you are prompted to purge the model, maybe also suggesting to ‘resize materials’ could help optimizing files?

image.png

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/material-resizer

1 Like

Here’s a pretty one, until you turn on hidden geometry.

And another thing of beauty by the same author

That depends on each individual texture and how big it is used in the model, so that the resolution can be optimized for best visual results (which is for example considered by Texture Resizer).

For improving viewer performance in 3D Warehouse, this would have a big advantage (or even more progressive streaming).

But I imagine users with different use cases would be interested in a different degree of detail, as if there could be a dowload customizer option: “I need the model for … purpose” with sliders for texture resolution and number of polygons :wink:

2 Likes

Or categories, like in the different App-stores…

For architectural design I try to never download furniture with more than 1000 faces, or 1 MB i file size. It just bloats the model into oblivion.

Sadly the file size filtering is hard to adjust as it is linearly mapped, and and the tiniest change and the lower end of the slider makes a huge relative change in value. The polygon count slider is much easier to adjust to 1K.

2018-10-14_12h12_44

4 Likes

Would be nice if you can sort components in skp by ‘file’ size or # polygons…

Goldilocks v2.0
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=281153#p281153