Advanced Camera Positioning for Matched Photo

Is there any way to edit the x, y, z, heading, pitch, roll, and focal length of a matched camera? I matched the photo in a separate program and have all the necessary parameters. I tried using the Advanced Camera Tools plugin but couldn’t find a way to add the image as well as edit the other parameters. Essentially, I want to avoid solving the camera in SketchUp itself by inputting my own data.

See what options you have when opening the ruby console and type ‘Sketchup.send_action 10624‘

[menu] Extensions > Developer > Ruby Console
(Windows only)

Just tried it. Those parameters look like they only change where the viewport position is and not the camera position.

EDIT: It appears like I can change the parameters of a normal camera using this method but it does not change the parameters of a matched camera. When I click “update” and click back it just resets back to its original position.

Did you ever figure anything out here? I’m trying to match the SketchUp camera to some drone photos; I have all of the telemetry of the photos, I just can’t seem to move the SkechUp camera in a satisfactory manner.

Might help to look at the video released recently by @TheOnlyAaron regarding what it takes for images to be suitable for Match Photo.

I’m still going to watch the video, but I want to point out that we don’t always have the option to adjust the photos, and may need alternative methods for matching photos. For example, right now I have a bunch of drone photos of a farmer’s field. There aren’t any nice straight lines. I have the GPS coordinates of the photos, as well as pitch/heading data and camera data (e.g. FOV), and I can pull in geo-located satellite data through SketchUp, but aligning the two just doesn’t feel possible without excruciating trial and error. “Match Photo” isn’t really an option here, especially when I know where the camera is supposed to be (from the telemetry data) relative to the scene (from the geo-location GPS coordinates).

That’s my point. Match Photo isn’t the right tool for the job you asked about here as well as in the thread you started.

I agree it isn’t the right tool, that’s why I was asking for tips or alternatives :). Ultimately I am trying to have the same output of the “Match Photo” process, but the methodological approach of the “Match Photo” tool is incompatible with the inputs I have. As far as I can tell, I have all of the inputs I would need (real life camera position, pitch, heading, FOV, etc) to get the output I seek (SketchUp camera position, pitch, heading, etc), but the only tool I am familiar with (“Match Photo”) isn’t the right tool for the job, as far as I can tell. Any thoughts on another approach one could take? This should probably be brought to my other thread, but this thread asks a very similar question and so any such answers may be applicable to both.

I recently did an alternative method in this post here using a watermark instead to import the image. It is trial and error, but it’s helped by knowing what the focal length used to take the picture and some knowledge I’ve explained elsewhere about the focal length bug in SU, plus a 3D Connection Spacemouse helped, though I wish there were a fine control setting of some kind. I think I’ve gotten a little more accuracy with Match Photo, but it was my first try with the method.