3DS or STEP files

Hello,
We are manufacturer of faucets and for the implementation of our products for exhibitions or showrooms, I start to use Sketchup. I am therefore a beginner.
I can import the 3D of our faucets from 3DS or STEP files and then I create components that I save in my library to be able to reimplement these faucets in various projects.
I face 3 problems.
1 - the heaviness of some components because I have the interior parts of the faucet and sometimes too many details
2 - I can’t apply a material (e.g. gold, chrome, matt black) to the whole faucet at once. I have to go into each part of the faucet.
3 - on my faucet or bathtub, I have lines that appear even after a rendering and I have different colors on some areas from the import.

The blue of the faces indicates that those faces are reversed. They need to be reoriented with their white front faces out. That will make it easier to apply materials/textures to the surfaces.

In my experience with imported STEP files, they come in with the surfaces divided into separate components. Before you can treat the thing like a single object you need to explode those components. Once those components are exploded you can soften the edges to get rid of the apparent divisions.

As for the unneeded detail, you’d be best to remove that from the original file before you create the file you’ll import into SketchUp. The importer just imports what you’ve included in the original file.

Keep in mind that with objects that have a lot of very small detail you may also run into problems with missing faces. That will need to be managed, too. When I have to do this I import the file with units set to meters so the thing comes into SketchUp very large. After cleaning it up I scale down.

Also probably best to import each thing into a separate file and then after making them suitable for use in SketchUp, add them to your project file.

Personally I don’t like working with STEP files and when I have to do that for a client, I make sure to add to the bill for the extra time it takes.

When I have to change a file with NURBS surfaces or solids into face geometry for SketchUp or Archicad or the like I often use Rhinoceros. I first convert to mesh and then use the built-in polyreducer to reduce the number of faces and edges before exporting a SketchUp or Colllada file.

Thank you for your advice.
I am not the one who generates the STEP or 3DS files. They are made on Solid Edge.
I don’t have Rhinoceros and 995 € is too expensive.
Is there a small software or a Sketchup plug-in that keeps only what is visible and not the inside of the part?
Thank you.

Here are a few guideline articles that you might find helpful :

https://help.sketchup.com/en/3d-warehouse/making-great-3d-warehouse-model

https://help.sketchup.com/en/how-model-efficiently-using-existing-2d-and-3d-sources#using_cad_files_for_modeling

1 Like