3D Space Mouse - Worth it or Not?

Another Gofundme starter:
“Box needs a Spacemouse Enterprise to enlighten humanity in SketchUp skills”. Can you help?

2 Likes

A nice thought Ian but there are far too many more worthwhile causes. Some that may well save the planet.

My comment were of course intended as light humour. I agree there are many other much more worthwhile causes out there.

1 Like

It’s too easy these days to get caught up in, but he said…

I knew what you meant, just extracting the urine!

1 Like

Feel free Ian to start a gofundme on the quiet, I can PM an account.

I had a 3D mouse (they dont make a driver for mac for that model any more). I never did go back to replace it with one that is compatible. Someone previous in the discussion mentioned problems with the drivers, and I can say I had similar problems, but I think its a mac thing. Not sure what platform you are on.

With that said, when I had it, it was great! I used it to navigate with my left hand, and the right was for keyboard shortcuts, entering measurements and track pad tasks. If I was doing as much modeling as I use to, I probably would have replaced it.

@Gitwood73
I have all the axis locks on a radial menu. I even put the blue at the top, green to the left, red to the right, etc. so it’s totally intuitive.

No need for hostile comments! I appreciate all feedback.

absolutely a 3D mouse is worth every penny. much faster. takes a day to get use to one but worth the effort.

1 Like

I think it’s worth it absolutely. It’s not cheap but it is worth it to me. That Box guy has some issues I couldn’t get through but I will say two hands are better than one. I use a good mouse in my right ( dominant) hand, and a space mouse in my other. I actually own two one wired one wireless- wish they had Bluetooth. All that being said I’m sure I’m in line for fire and urine.

Worth it for me to the extent that I feel like I have an arm tied behind my back if I have to do without.
Also, I find it very easy to control in a smooth and flowing manner when clients are present.

That’s awesome! I’d love to do the same, but I can’t quite figure it out. Are you using the CAD mouse radial menu for that? I can’t seem to find the arrow keys under any of the menu settings for either the Enterprise or the CAD mouse. How did you find the arrow functions in the listings of the menu settings in order to assign them? When I look under the Keyboard drop down menu all I see is Esc, Alt, Shift, Cntrl, Del, etc. I don’t see arrow keys. Likewise if I look under the Trimble SketchUp functions, I don’t see anything regarding axis lock.

At least for the 3d mouse I have, you can create custom radial menus and assign them to the buttons as needed…hope this helps.

2 Likes

In answer to the OP, if you don’t know why you would want one perhaps you don’t?
I bought into the entry device the wired navigator, and love it. I don’t use it constantly but I had “2” very distinct reasons for wanting it in Sketchup. Mouse zoom overshooting drove me nuts and secondly manoeuvring in and around small / hard to access parts of geometry. All these issues are a thing of the past with a 3D mouse

1 Like

Thanks IanT. I have the same radial menu on my CAD mouse, which I purchased at the same time as my Enterprise. Although I didn’t want to change it, I did finally realize/remember how to program macros. I simply re-programmed the V1, V2, and V3 buttons on my Enterprise to function as the axes locks.

Thanks for taking the time to show me!

2 Likes

@IanT beat me to the explanation and I must say did an excellent job of showing the way.

1 Like

I love the 3D mouse. We all got them at the 2016 basecamp. Don’t take it from me though, I also use a Wacom pen and tablet.

2 Likes

Well worth it for navigating around your model. 10x better than the “scroll zoom”. No more getting stuck in a wall.

2 Likes

No conclusion that a 3D space mouse is N percent faster than something or other should be read without the lingering question, N percent faster than what?

Sir

I highly recommend the 3D Space Mouse. It does increase productivity. Others have commented that once you have one you can’t operate without it and I agree.