100 Sq. Ft. Elevator House?

There’s one room, but its function changes depending on which floor it’s on. Would something like this be possible to build?

EXTERIOR

X-RAY

ELEVATOR
ELEVATOR

FLOOR 1
BATHROOM

WASHER/DRYER/SHOE RACK/CLOSET

SHOWER CONTROLS

FLOOR 2
KITCHEN/DINING
folding chairs stored in closet

FOLD-OUT ELECTRIC STOVE

FOLD-OUT TABLE/WINDOW

FLOOR 3
BEDROOM/LIVING ROOM

FOLD-OUT BED & FOLD-OUT TABLE

CLOSET

It’s just a sketch, but I figured I’d share.

3 Likes

This is not even a new invention!

I can’t remember the episode of Bugs Bunny, where he acts as an interior designer and furnishes and transforms a house. When the owner returns home, he is instructed to stand in a delineated square (in place of a lift) and press a button and the desired floor comes down from the ceiling.

The furniture suffers a little if it is not foldable…

1 Like

I think I’ve never seen an elevator house before, but I figured it’s already been done. :sweat_smile:

My inspiration for this house was to follow architectural trends and see where it leads me. I noticed buildings were getting taller and smaller over time, so I decided on making a tall house with a small footprint. An elevator room seemed like a logical choice to traverse floors. Yeah… folding furniture is a must-have for tiny houses.

I think you would Also have an egress code problem. Elevators are not considered a means of egress.

1 Like

Interesting idea. As an architect I wonder;

• issues with building regulations?
  • what if you have friends over? Or you’re preparing dinner and someone is at the door? Or you need to get something on another floor? Or someone has to go to the bathroom (on another floor)?
  • are you using the total m3’s more efficiently compared to if there were stairs instead?

Edit; ever heard of OMA (RemKoolhaas) and their design for a house in Bordeaux?

2 Likes

I’m sure there are more issues than I realize. Would slides count as a means of egress? They could also be used for fun. :snowboarder:

I was imagining the elevator button would automatically close all the cupboards, then take the room to the next floor relatively quickly. Ideally, I’d like the elevator transport to be quick, easy, and safe.

A common stairwell is 68 sq ft, but the usable floor space is only 64 sq ft. Even an alternating tread staircase would barely fit. I think it could work, but alternating stairs still take up much of the room. I’d prefer to not have stairs take up the floor space. Also, I like the simplicity of having one floor instead of three floors because it requires less housecleaning.

I’ve never heard of it, but I looked up the house with the elevator next to the book case. It’s awesome!