1:100 Isometric drawing

I’m cant work out how to print out a 1:100 isometric drawing, can anybody help me please?

Only orthographic views can be printed to a particular scale.

An isometric drawing is a rather limited, distorted, and primitive representation, whose main virtue is that it is relatively easy to prepare by hand with drafting instruments. That form of depiction represents the much more limited technology of an earlier era, and by most standards is clearly inferior to a realistic perspective view, which can be easily produced with SU. May I inquire why you want an isometric view when you can have something better?

-Gully

Its for university work. Is there anyway of getting it to scale? Or does Sketch up not have this feature?

As I said, only orthographic views can be printed to scale. I wouldn’t exactly call what you’re looking for a “feature,” since when isometric drawings were used, they were typically labeled “No Scale.” (The only way an isometric drawing can be “scaled” is along the receding axes. If a measurement is made in any other direction, it is wrong. You simply cannot depend on a user of the drawing to scale it “correctly,” hence, no scale is given.)

However, since isometric drawings are an anachronism anyway, it puzzles me why your university would waste time on them

-G

An ISO view can also be printed to scale. The problem is that the scale is correct parallel to the picture plane so the dimensions in what is not parallel are foreshortened. It is late and I have a slight headache, so I won’t go into the actual math but it should be rather trivial to calculate the actual ratio that you will need to multiply your scale factor with to achieve the correct dimensions in the printed output.

Couldn’t agree more with Gully about the anachronistic nature of the task you have been given. Perspective was tedious to construct by hand in the old times so the unnatural-looking parallel projections were devised.

Anssi

Taking in account the words from Gully and Anssi, if you still wish to set up a print in ISO to a scale, the easiest way to do so is to bring your model into LayOut. LayOut makes it easy to for you to set it up based on your specific page/sheet size.

CD

As @ChrisDizon says, LayOut is the way to go with this one. It’s simplistic to change model scale. @m_clarke, if you want to use SU in Univeristy, you’ll need to have LayOut. Additionally, for plans/sections/elevations, you’ll want to create a series of templates for shading and hatching your pouche.

Tau

To get an 1:100 iso view where the axis directions are to scale, you must use 1:81.6497 as the scale. See the attached SKP for why.isoscale.skp (17.5 KB)

Anssi