SketchUp Make 2015 and imaging computers in a school

Hello,

I use SketchUp Make with 6th and 7th graders as part of a middle school Engineering Technology class. I always try to be on the current version, as it decreases the problems we have when students work on a project at home and at school.

When installing Make 2015, I follow my normal procedure of updating the software on one machine, and then using Symantec Ghost to create and deploy images. Even when I install SketchUp, create the image, deploy the image all on the same day, the computers that receive the image get the same “trial period has expired” gray screen that allows you to purchase a license or exit. No option is available to continue with the Make license. I have to go to each machine, post-image, and run the installer again to get it to go to the “pro trial expired” license status.

Is there really no way to install Make 2015, without the Pro trial? Seems like that would fix my problem, and from my brief research, a lot of other people’s problems as well. I think we really are smart enough to decide if we want the pro trial opportunity, or not.

Thanks for any/all insight.

Mr. Kenna

Which version did you image? Did you use the latest patch? There was some issues with the original release that prevented SketchUp to regress to Make.

:+1:

See the Release Notes — SketchUp Pro 2015 and SketchUp Make 2015 - Maintenance Release 2

1 Like

Yes, please install the latest version on the source machine. The latest version now supports a way to skip Pro trial in Make. Assuming you are running Windows, you can open this file in notepad:

C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\SketchUp.lic

Then put this exact line as the only thing in the file:

##NoTrial

You can delete whatever might be in the file, replace it with this text and save the file.

Now when you run the program, you should see the Welcome dialog asking you to agree to non-commercial use. If you click “I agree”, SketchUp should then run as Make on the source machine. You should be able to image the machine after this. Sorry about this inconvenience.

2 Likes

Hi. I am an education IT administrator and I need to deploy SketchUp Make to multiple Macs.

How can we force the skip of the Pro trial?

I have tried looking for ‘SketchUp.lic’ in the app’s resource files but can’t find it. Therefore I am assuming it is a different setup for Macs.

Any help you can provide would be great, as we ideally can’t use SketchUp Make if the Pro trial is possibly going to cause issues or confusion at a later stage.

Many thanks.

@mark2 On Mac, SketchUp.lic is located under
\Users\your_user_name\Library\Application Support\SketchUp 2015\

I have a slightly different problem with this installation, I am an IT tech in a secondary school using MS SCCM. Is there a command line switch to disable the Pro trial being installed in the first place? As we do not create an image (the O/S and apps are deployed separately) the suggested fix in this string is useless to me.

The only possibility I have seen is with the .lic file. Cannot you incorporate that in the deployment?

Anssi

1 Like

Did you have any luck with this?
We have the exact same issue here

Hi davidcvs

We have a possible solution which am testing today. We have created a batch file to modify the .lic file which will be deployed via SCCM with the Sketchup deployment as a dependant app.

I will post the result.

Missed your post sorry, how’d it go?

The test deployment was successful, we created a batch file containing the following line echo ##NoTrial > “C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\SketchUp.lic”
I then created a separate application for the batch file (scripted) and Sketchup Make 2015 (msi) in SCCM with the Sketchup as a dependant of the batch file deployment.