Sketchup 2015 Install crashes Windows Explorer

I am fighting with about 20 windowsexplorer- crashes each and every day since november.

I hope there will be a solution soon. 3 months like that is to long!

So I’m not alone with this!
( Got really worried about my computer… )
I have to report the same problem here. Win7 Home Premium. 2015Pro.
Also looking forward for the real solution.

And Thanks for this forum and that you share your knowledge!

Months have gone by now on this serious error, and NOTHING - there are
not even a good work-around (other than dumping Microsoft :slight_smile:

I’m very disappointed in the development team’s apparent effort at
this point.

It seems this only happens on some installations of Windows. Unfortunately mine is one of them. I tend to keep all related files for a job in the one folder, but I’ve had to reorganise all these away from any folder with a SKP extension in order to open them.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS…WHEN WILL WE GET A FIX!
Not happy Baz.

I am running Windows 7 pro 32 bit I started having the same problem. After reading the problem everyone was having. I went into my C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\LayOut folder and moved the thumbsup.dll to my desktop to remove it from that folder. In the C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\ folder I left the thumbsup.dll there. My problem disappeared and I can see my thumbnails when I am in Sketchup file and open. The problem was in the layout folder. I deleted the thumbsup.dll file off my desktop. Everythings back to normal. I didn’t have to restart my computer. I moved my Sketchup files in another folder and explorer did not crash at all. Hope this helps

1 Like

I also had a problem with Windows Explorer crashing, tried many solutions I found online but nothing fixed it. Then I found a program called FastPictureViewer, not because of the Explorer crashes but because my PS file icons were all screwed up. Installed it a couple of weeks ago and it not only fixed the PS icons, but I haven’t experienced an Explorer crash since. It costs 15 bucks, and I can’t say for certain that it has solved the problem with Explorer, but normally I would have had maybe half a dozen crashes in the time since I installed it. Just thought I would pass this along for what it’s worth.

There is a trial version of FastPictureViewer, just in case you want to give it a try

There was a maintenance release on 5/2/2015 that should address this issue.

1 Like

As @Box says - on 5/2/15 v15.3 was released.
One of its key bug-fixes is to address that thumbnail issue which some PC users were having…

Thank you Trimble, for fixing the nasty Explorer issue with this
new release.

Pretending that this was a small problem, however, is less than
reassuring. Many users were greatly inconvenienced, and I felt that you
folks were sweeping the matter “under the rug”.

In the future, when dealing with serious bugs (and there will be), I
hope and expect that you will be more forthcoming.

Griffin Burgh Ann Arbor, Michigan

Also having the same Windows Explorer stopping and then restarting issue. It is happening with alarming frequency. To be clear, this is NOT the SU thumbs dumping SU, this is systemic, possibly not even associated with SU. See Griffin’s post from Nov. '14.

Win 7, Nvidia Quadro 4200, SU 2015 Pro with maybe 5 or 6 extensions, including Kerkythea and Vray 2.

Hard to diagnose as we as an office made significant network system changes at or near the same time as my SU 2015 Pro install.

Two Windows rebuilds / reloads, eliminating all unused or old software didn’t solve the issue, fyi.

Thank you for the advice, all. I will try renaming the thumb .dll and wait and see.

Have you installed the latest SketchUp maintenance upgrade (about 2 weeks old)? It should have fixed the issue.

Anssi

Hi i have the same problem too and I just dont know what to do about it .
.skb files have thumbnail preview while .skp files are only showing the sketchup icon . I’m using sketchup 2015 .

=> Download

Hi , i had crashes with SU2015 pro 64 bit all the time after installing it. Even with brand new files , drawing some shapes and a crash occured, with or without bugsplash window…
When i uninstalled the 64 bit version and reinstalled the 32 bit version the problem vanished.
But for me this is not the solution because i am back from where i started, the 32 bit version instead of the newest 64 bit.

Anyone having the same problem ?

In reality, you are not missing much. The only thing that differs between the 32 and 64 bit versions of SketchUp 2015 is the amount of memory they are able to use (about 4 GB limit for the 32-bit) but there are no other performance benefits.

Are you using plugins? If you are using plugins that are not ready for 64-bit they might cause the crashes.

Anssi

i only use plugins that i downloaded from extension warehouse, but it lso crashed before i installed the plugins with the 64 bit version. I still find it strange that 32 bit does work and 64 doesnt, Especially the memory that is more available is attractive especially if i wanna use renderplugins in sketchup in the future… But in reality i guess i wont experience differences … u i understood that that can cause problems ( render plugins) when you dont ha
ve a working 64 bit version. SkethUp pro tech support is trying to see what is going on, miught be the graphics cards onboard , hdd and geforce .

4 GB limit is Windows x32 itself, SU x32 ist compiled as ‘Large Address Aware’ and can use roughly 2-2.5 GB RAM.

And what about the 64 bit version
?

lots of, never mind.