I need help recovering a what seems to be a corrupted file

I need help. I have worked on a sketchup model over 60 hours and for some reason when I opened up the file today it is saying that this file dosent seem to be a sketchup model. I cant find any autosaves or backup file. Is there any way to recover a file like this or does anyone know why such a thing would happen. I see the files so they were not deleted but they basically became unusable files.

Not sure why this problem has occurred. What happens if you rename the file that you can see? Try giving it a new file name with the .skb extension and see if you can open this with SU. If that works, then simply change the extension back to .skp.

As an alternative, I would try a universal search for the missing file(s). Perhaps your file was inadvertently placed into a different folder that was not included in your previous search.

Thanks for your help but unfortunately I tried renaming and I paid a computer place to search for deleted files hidden files with skp ext and it returned nothing for some reason these files became corrupted but do you know is there any way to upload these files to anyone for them to understand what is going on

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com

On Tuesday, November 17, 2015, jvleearchitects no-reply@sketchup.com wrote:

jvleearchitects SketchUp Sage

November 18
Not sure why this problem has occurred. What happens if you rename the file that you can see? Try giving it a new file name with the .skb extension and see if you can open this with SU. If that works, then simply change the extension back to .skp.

As an alternative, I would try a universal search for the missing file(s). Perhaps your file was inadvertently placed into a different folder that was not included in your previous search.

To respond, reply to this email or visit I need help recovering a what seems to be a corrupted file - #2 by jvleearchitects in your browser.

PM me the file and we could take a look.

It’s unfortunate that you are having this experience.

If you can still see the corrupted files, maybe you should post here so others can try to open the files and offer other suggestions. To do this, click the upload button in the reply box (7th icon from the left). Navigate to the file(s) you want to share and follow the onscreen instructions. There is a size limit of 3072 kb for files sent this way. If your file is larger than this, you should use a cloud based storage service to hold the file and send the url of the file location (make sure you authorize users with the appropriate url to be able to download the file) along with a clear explanation of what you want the readers to do with the file. Here is a link to an article on potential cloud services - CLICK THIS . Many are free.

Hello!
I have The Same problem. I lost My Data on USB Flash and after getting them back I can’t open the SKP file.
It show me that it is SketchUp file and it is 168Mb but when trying to open it says: “File not found or Invalid”.
Could You help Me Please?
(and it is too large to upload here)

Andris sent me a direct message with the same question, and I suggest that he try using the SketchUp Viewer or SketchUp Free to see if either can open the troublesome file.

For what it’s worth, Andris shared the problematic file with me today. I downloaded it, and can peek at it with the Mac’s Quicklook feature:

However, neither SketchUp Pro 2017 (nor 2018 can open the file. To any SketchUp team members e.g., @Barry : are there diagnostic tools to examine corrupted SKP files?

Your experience shows that SketchUp’s QuickLook Generator can find the thumbnail saved inside the file, so it is not totally trash. I have no idea how SketchUp’s QLG processes the file, but it could be more or less independent of correct structure of the file. E.g. some third-party QLG’s before this just searched the file for the signature marking an embedded png image, which would work even if the rest of the file is corrupted.