"Your recent operation has caused visible geometry to merge with existing geometry on a hidden layer"

I think we end up drawing on different layers. Image a simple rectangle in layer0 and you then over write an edge perhaps with a line in another layer, then this would confuse SU. So when you delete the original rectangle, you end up with the line and the attached ‘fill’. This is evident when you delete something, but an edge remains, and remains highlighted. Perhaps someone from SU can confirm this?!

desconsh, that is as polite as I could put it. Last night I noticed that even LOCKED entities appeared to have moved fractions out of place. I am guessing it has to do with imported .DWG xref files not being coplanar / flat. The importing of .DWG xref files seems brilliant in that you can set the foundation plan xref at one level and push-pull up to guides set from the Western Elevation xref & the first floor plan xref set & locked from the origin at the first floor level so that you can push-pull the 1st floor walls up to the 2nd floor slab etc. etc. While drawing on layer0. There can be a steep learning curb when you jump in at the deep end especially when you are editing components that have volumes. If you run subtract on any significant solid component then the component will loose it’s volume field & you have to spend half an hour editing it to rename or revert to the original solid. Not very practical when you do not know what SOLIDINSPECTOR1 is indicating after SOLIDINSPECTOR2 has told you that everything is SHINEY & there is no volume field in the component/entity info?

Anybody know what these are or mean. SOLIDINSPECTOR1 after SOLIDINSPECTOR2 declares ALL SHINEY. There is no Volume field in the Entity-info of a component that just got subtracted from? The other component has the volume?

Great discussion. I find it strange, as many have noted, that the common use of ‘Layer’ across many 3D/CAD programs needs to be ‘relearned’ or it has been ‘redefined’ in Sketchup. Since visibility can be assigned, the property of editing/merging/ownership/etc. can be assigned to a layer with the same code/programming logic. Thus, I ask why Sketchup’s ‘Layer’ has not be normalized to the rest of the industry, when from a programing perspective ( I program for a living) it is very easy, at least theoretically. Unlike a special feature which makes one product more appealing to another, this uniqueness does not appear to be one that endears someone to Sketchup.

Where’s the difference? In AutoCad, the only things that can be controlled with layers is visibility and appearance.

AutoCad objects do not stick together, but that has nothing to do with layers.

Anssi

I’m not an AutoCad user, so please correct me if I am wrong, but I have gotten the impression that AutoCad users also expect to be able to manipulate the items on a Layer as a unit of some sort, not merely as a visibility switch?

I can only speak for myself with only 30 years of AutoCad use - I don’t, even if I admit to creating a “select all objects on the same layer as the one I select” Lisp macro years before the same functionality was built-in to AutoCad.

Anssi

Me thinking…: "Which version could that have been, some 30 years ago".

I remember playing with version 2.16 back then in 1986.

Lol. That is so funny. I was the same way. Group geometry and move to the assigned layer through the entity info
dialog box. try it it works it really does.
You’ll get it hand in there.
Steve

There is the option from the toolbars selection of the Layers box that you can dock anywhere. Or float around for your convenience. I usually dock it in the lower left corner instead of going back and forth to the Layers Panel assigned to the docked tray in the upper right side. Just like the Entity Info box you group or make a component of the part(s) and when highlighted. Click the layer you want to assign it to. Just another option…
…Peace…

The oldest version I remember using was 2.5. Their version numbering defies logic, as the previous version was 2.1. Then, from version 2.6 they jumped to R9, and, again, from R14 to version 2000.
(http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/autocad-release-history.html)
Anssi