Working with large, detailed shapes

It means that it’s not happy with the file. The BMP file must be 24-bit color and have at least a two pixel border around it. Can you share the graphic file you’re working with? I’ll be happy to take a look.
[edited] I found the DXF file in another thread … nevermind :frowning:

Yes it takes a few seconds.

• It’s actually in WildTools which is the major add-on to PowerCADD.

I assume you can find something similar in AutoCAD.

I believe you can find it in SketchUcation Add Faces | SketchUcation. It is by TIG.

8Gb is the minimum requirement. 16 or more is recommended. This could be an issue for you. Also, though some have had success, SketchUp is technically not supported in VMs.

Dang I looked up both of the software packages you recommended unfortunately I don’t have that kind of money! It’s good to know those are out there though! Thank you for the help!

hmm I was not aware that Sketchup was not officially supported inside of VMs! I’ve had great success with VMWare though, near to no issues other than the possible limited memory I suppose.

Is this something like what you’re looking for? Or do you need the lines themselves?

1 Like

Yeah More or less, that’s what I’m looking to do! My issue is mainly finding a converter that keeps the correct amount of detail and every part of the drawing intact. I’m getting closer, This post has definitely helped me to realize there are a lot of options out there. Was this with the BMP trace extension in Sketchup you had mentioned earlier?

Yes. I cleaned up a few random pixels and filled in the outlines prior to importing it into SketchUp.
dragon_tattoo.skp (1.1 MB)

Gotcha, That’s a lot cleaner than the level of detail that my other program uses! I’ll have to get this extension working and give it a try on my other models. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

BTW, I used an online DXF to BMP converter which seems to have cropped some of the image. I filled the areas in the bitmap before importing it into SketchUp. If you were to start with a graphic image in BMP format to begin with, the importer would provide an easy one-step process.

Why BMP? It’s an easy-to-read non-lossy format that’s not compressed. Makes the coding easier. :wink:

I hadn’t known that, thank you! I prefer not to use an online converter as there’s a security risk downloading files often such as those, so perhaps I’ll look for some software that has the capability to convert DXF files to BMP! Thank you for the info!

pbacot found a wonderful extension called simplify contours that gives me the ability to adjust the detail level of these models minutely. Thanks guys!

https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/8cf14bd2-2de7-4e09-867a-dc0502ba2ffb/simplify-contours-tool

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.