Whats the difference between light and dark faces?

I made what I thought was a simple D8 die, and then when I tried to upload it I noticed two of the faces were blank, and did not roman numerals on them. Thinking that was odd, I went back to the model, only to find that the numbers were indeed there.

Upon closer inspection I noticed that the two faced that did not show up when uploading it elsewhere were a lighter pigment in the original model, they were pretty much white while the rest of the middle was grey, and this is not just due to lighting, nor is it due to paint bucket.

I assumed the faces were at a slightly wrong angle or something, so I tried messing around with it, but to no avail. I even tried remaking the model from scratch, and a similar thing happened. I have no clue why the faces are white instead of grey, and don’t know why they act differently. Can somebody please explain what is going on? – and what is the best approach to fixing said problem?

‘Right Click’ on a ‘white’ face and select ‘Orient Faces’…

what you are seeing are some back faces…

john

White faces must always be visible and receive textures
Grey faces must always be invisible. Do not put textures on it.

1 Like

That lighter-colored face is front and the darker color is the back. Because there is a front and back face, that can be used to define what kind of ‘work’ can be done. Many raytracing renderers will only render textures applied to the ‘front’ face. 3D printers define the front face as the outside surface and the dark face is the inside. So if you tried to print that die as-is, you could not afford to do it and such a project would snuff out life as we know it - the inside of that model is the outer surface of the 3d print.