What was Google thinking as far as the material editor on Mac?

I’ve been experimenting with this bug to try to figure out the circumstances. So far I think I have this narrowed down to an initialization problem between materials and the Mac Color Wheel interface. Upon a Fresh startup of SketchUp the very first time I try to edit a color, the color wheel fails to read the base color of that texture and so It places the color picking crosshairs in the center of the wheel, on white. If one leaves the crosshairs there and begins to move the darkness slider under the wheel then the material becomes black and white, because the crosshairs are on center at white, so the slider is moving between white and black, effectively greyscale. This bug does not effect the Sliders interface (RGB or CMYK).

Workaround: So far this appears to occur only the very first time an edit is attempted with the Color wheel. Try this:

1. Go to the Colors in Model list and right click on any swatch that is a texture, choose edit.

2. Once in Edit mode choose the Color Wheel interface in the top left of the material picker. Notice that the crosshairs are on center, over pure white.

3. Without adjusting anything, hit the space bar to drop out of edit mode and switch to the selection tool.

4. Now repeat steps 1 and 2, Is the crosshair in the Color Wheel set actually on the base color of the material instead of on white?

I am finding so far that once I get the Color Wheel to read the base color of the material by starting to edit and abandoning it once while leaving the Color Wheel as the active adjuster, it then works correctly for the remaining session of SketchUp. If I restart the program I have to go through these steps again.

I’d be interested to know if these steps work of others or not.

2 Likes