What is "zip" in Extension Manager ? Can I uninstall it?

I have just reinstalled the latest SCF RBZ and I don’t see any zip stuff in Plugins, or reported under Ext-Manager !
It’s certainly not ‘loose’ in the RBZ - so is SketchUp v2021 somehow ‘randomly’ moving nested RB files from within an extension’s subfolder ?
Perhaps if they are not ‘signed’ with the main RBZ contents ?

The OP removed his ZIP stuff it broke SCF toolset, which suggests it was relocated somehow…
Although your set up shows duplicate copies rather than any relocation…

If you remove the ZIP rb and subfolder from your Plugins folder and reinstall the SCF toolset’s RBZ what happens?
The …/Data Rubyzip file/folder should be there but not duplicated in the Plugins folder ?
If they are we know that some users [like you] are getting this duplication - I do not.
If not then perhaps some other extension you have installed recently has added the ZIP rb and subfolder into Plugins.
Since an EWH-checked RBZ would not do this, then perhaps you have installed it from SketchUcation or a 3rd party site ?

Hmm…I erased the zip ruby and folder and then reinstalled the SketchUcation toolset. They did not reappear. Then I tried restarting SketchUp with the Ruby Console open and saw a long list of errors from the material browser extension, all of them involving the zip library. Disabled that extension and the errors went away. I think that must be the culprit, though I haven’t had time to peruse the code to see whether or why it might install zip as a separate extension…

Thanks for the test…
So SCF toolset is an innocent bystander ?

It’s that Gates fellow teamed up with big trimble and the Irish crowd to insert a tracking zip file into everyone.

2 Likes

Probably a way to spread 5G…

Some extension seems to be adding the zip folder to plugins. Can also be an older version that has now been corrected to have the files in its own folder.

3 Likes

Samuel Tallet is the author of that Materials_Browser extension, from the PluginStore & EWH? …
Looking at his RBZ and code I can see he ships similar zip.rb zip subfolders within his extensions subfolder …/Libraries/
There are not loose in the RBZ.
Somehow they are getting copied into the Plugins folder…
I can’t see how that happens, but his code consists of dozens of RB files…
I contact him direct…

3 Likes

It’s worth asking @Kwin if he has installed Materials Browser at some point. ?

My bad. Old versions of material_browser.rbz file include Rubyzip library at root… That’s why there’s a zip.rb file and a zip folder at root of Plugins folder. You can safely uninstall the “zip” library with native Extension Manager. Then, if you want to continue to use Material Browser plugin: upgrade it. New versions of Material Browser plugin include Rubyzip library in a proper way.

2 Likes

Thanks.
I think this fixes the issue…

1 Like

Thank you everyone for this discussion. I learn many new things and finally I can fix it.

Problem : Found unidentified “ZIP” in extension manager browser
Solution :

1. Uninstall old version Material Browser Extension V1.0.5 and uninstall that ZIP
  2. Reinstall update Material Browser V1.0.9
  3. Problem fixed, extension manager looks clean again and SKP also load faster

@TIG Thank you for sharing your knowledge here. Your classic “Mirror” extension is tool I use every time for so many years. just have change to say “Thanks” for it.

@SamuelTS - Material Browser is very useful extension. Actually ability to search for material used in model should come with standard SketchUp. Hope SKP team will consider improve “Material Window” in future. I also test your another extension “Physically-Based Rendering”, It is good as well for quick getting render image. Just simple and straight forward to use.
"

1 Like

I too cleaned up then reinstalled material browser, and then the stray zip did not return.