What is the best iMac choice for SketchUp 2020?

I have a big LO Project to work on over the next couple of weeks so will do some testing then.
I dont use Mac sorry so can’t answer your questions about upgrades.

the chips are soldered to the graphics card, which are replaceable…

I made the mistake of switching to nvidia which doesn’t run SU as well as the AMD did, and is blacklisted by Chrome…

unless it blows up I’d leave it alone…

Yes Mike, I totally agree that “something is wrong” with Layout …
Having perused the SketchUp Forum for a while, I’ve seen a lot of the (justified) Layout rants. It seem we as users can request and complain until we are (literally) blue in the face, but we don’t have any real leverage on Trimble.
As long as SketchUp and Layout are “packaged” together, we will all keep buying each release over and over, because we love SketchUp, it is a really great and desirable program. But how well would Layout sell, out on its own?
Problem is, we want the dynamic Layout link to SketchUp (which is a VERY useful feature) to be productive. Why should Trimble totally rebuild Layout if we all keep buying (this flawed cousin) as part of the SketchUp Pro package?
This logic would suggests that Trimble doesn’t dare separate the two programs, because it would precipitate a real and honest review of Layout as a program in the open marketplace, which would probably mean the death of Layout …?
Trimble can’t afford this, so they just kick this (severely dented) Layout can down the road …
What can we do to change this dynamic? How can we change Layout?

I work on a Hackintosh…much more power for much less money. I use SketchUp and Twinmotion too…fully functional with no bugs.

1 Like

I work on a Hackintosh…much more power for much less money. I use SketchUp and Twinmotion too…fully functional with no bugs.
[/quote]
OK Cayden,
Sounds intriguing, could you be more specific about what your machine consists of? I’ve heard the term “Hackintosh”, but don’t really know what that means … Are you saying it runs Mac OS, but the hardware is “something else”? If so, what?
Please elaborate!
Thanks!

1 Like

A hackintosh is a PC that runs Mac OS, which isn’t made for PC hardware, so you “hack” it. So…while you can spend 7-10,000 on the new Mac Pro, I have a 12C/24T AMD Ryzen 9 processor at 4.4 GHZ, AMD Radeon 5700 XT (which is much better than the 560x included in the base), 32GB of 3600mhz RAM, Gigabyte Aorus Master Motherboard with USB C, a 750 W Gold PSU, 1TB Nvme storage, and 2TB Hard Drive for around 1800. The best part is you can customize and OC the machine, while the Mac Pro is a money pit. I run Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2 on it… and have never had an issue. CAD files load in seconds and I can render 4K animations and videos in minutes. If you want more help in choosing parts, I would love to be of assistance. The process is complex but I’ve been through it a few times and can help you get your machine up and running.

1 Like

[quote=“caydenwilson017, post:26, topic:118067, full:true”]
A hackintosh is a PC that runs Mac OS, which isn’t made for PC hardware, so you “hack” it. So…while you can spend 7-10,000 on the new Mac Pro, I have a 12C/24T AMD Ryzen 9 processor at 4.4 GHZ, AMD Radeon 5700 XT (which is much better than the 560x included in the base), 32GB of 3600mhz RAM, Gigabyte Aorus Master Motherboard with USB C, a 750 W Gold PSU, 1TB Nvme storage, and 2TB Hard Drive for around 1800. The best part is you can customize and OC the machine, while the Mac Pro is a money pit. I run Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2 on it… and have never had an issue. CAD files load in seconds and I can render 4K animations and videos in minutes. If you want more help in choosing parts, I would love to be of assistance. The process is complex but I’ve been through it a few times and can help you get your machine up and running.

Thanks Cayden,
As you say, complex process … but it sounds very cost effective! I suppose you don’t end up with a warrantee for such an assembly? I’ll think about it, and thanks for your offer of help!

1 Like

Anytime!