Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

• **`Who are you? Hi my name is Klaus and I like to make wooden toys
  • **`What is your industry and profession? I am a retired lecturer
  • **`Where do you use SketchUp? Purely personally
  • **`Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favourite thing about it? I found the early learning curve extremely rewarding and love the idea of knowing what it is going to look like before I go into my garage
  • **`How proficient are you in SketchUp? Mmmh, suppose intermediate with the standard UI, but definitely a beginner with Ruby
  • **`Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
  • **`What is your current set up? Windows 10, Sketchup Make 2017
7 Likes

Hi, I’m Bob or Spblad.
I was from the toy industry but now retired.
I’m trying to use this for personal home use.
I’m just starting to try this software. Have used autocad but its been a while since i used it and have forgotten the ways. This seems easier from YouTube videoas.
So yes I’m a beginner.
Have not gone to 3DBasecamp.
Older Dell PC laptop trying to use Sketchup free web
Have not gone to 3D warehouse.

1 Like
  • Who are you? ( *show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please ) My name is Ray, I’ll upload a picture of myself in my user profile.
  • **`What is your industry and profession? I’m an architectural designer. Mostly houses some non residential
  • **Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?I used to use it professionally but was laid off two weeks ago
  • **Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I use it because I was trained in it. A firm I used to work at trained all their senior designers in it for designing large buildings
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I would cinsider myself advanced. I taught the design department of the last place I was at how to use it.
  • **Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?no I haven’t
  • What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] now that I’m at home, unemployed, I use SketchUp 17. I love it. I have all my short cuts and quick keys set up.
  • **Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?I don’t. The previous employer would not allow this
  • **Anything else you would like to tell us?My models are of houses and building around the world. It has been a great selling tool as well as helping clients understand my designs
  • **What is your favorite Emoji?:sunglasses:
  • **Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...?I do, with my wife of almost 44 years!
    [/quote]
1 Like

Hello,
I am Tarek, trying to learn sketchup. Already I have completed some course from sketchup campus. During this course I found one thing that this software is not a complete software. Regularly I have to depend on some extension (outside source) and even for rendering need to take v-ray which is not the sketchup software part.

As I am a student, I wanted to start interior and exterior designing by this software, but now I have to shift my learning to another design software.

So my question is that - am I right or wrong, and what should I do for taking interior and exterior design?

1 Like

Modeling, designing and rendering are each their own skills you must learn in order to do it all. Regardless of which software packages you use you’ll have to learn each thing. Sketchup is excellent for modeling and designing interior design and architecture. Learning Vray is not wasted time either if you are already committed to it.

1 Like

Welcome!

Welcome!

Vray is one of many respected rendering softwares that offer rendering for other modeling software, SketchUp included. This is common, that you use one software to model and another to render. Though some applications do both. Blender is perhaps a prime example of that. I think most people find themselves using multiple programs, and in Blender I think you will find adding extensions is one of the first things people do.

It’s hard to go far in this business without using more than one software, and often more than one computer, more than one job, more than one idea etc.

Oh, If you are “taking” design as in “taking” a course, you should ask your instructor.

Hi, I’m Malcolm and I am brand new to sketchup.

My son and I have decided to build a treehouse. We have done a lot of woodworking in the past but nothing bigger than a lemonade stand. I have all the tools and most of the knowhow to assemble - but don’t have any design skills.

We have a pencil sketch of what we want to build, with some good overall measurements, but I know it’s going to take more than that to make this project a success!

From what I’ve gathered, I thought SketchUp would be a great tool to come up with the lumber requirements and measurements. We’ve installed SketchUp Make 2017 on our big powerful PC and have watched a tutorial video ( Google SketchUp Basics Tutorial - YouTube ) to get started.

We have so many questions. Would love to find someone who has a few minutes of free time today for a live help session!

Hi everybody. I’m Gustavo. I am a retired physician, and an amateur draftsman and animator. I use SketchUp in personal projects. I began using SKP when it was Google’s, and I went fooling around with it from time to time. Recently I returned to it, maybe in a more systematic approach. I guess ( or I want to believe ) that I’m intermediate, but sometimes I doubt I could fit at any level. I guess I’m a slow learner. Te most elaborate model I had made is a version of the Ford T police truck of the Keystone cops, and a half model of a Land Rover 109. Now I was modeling some houses and a wooden articulated artist mannequin. This being said, I hope I can contribute to the SKP community, and at the same time receive inspiration and learning from it.

2 Likes

Hi! I’m Tim. I am trained as an architect and work in the architecture & development industry in Cincinnati, Ohio on residential & commercial projects. I became registered as an Architect in the state of Maryland in 2017 at age 45 & am slated to get my Ohio license next year.

My favorite thing is the photomatch function because when there’s a real picture of a place that people have been personally involved with for some time in the background, an instant connection is formed. It generally saves a ton of time over trying to model the whole world also. I would say that I am proficient at Sketchup but only for the past couple years when I learned how to leverage grouping components to keep elements of my models clean.

I’ve not been to basecamp. My current setup is Dell laptop with intel core i5 7th gen & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 running Sketchup 2020. My work is here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gQjyfDbdbPGVNcbk9

Lastly, I’m married with 3 kids, & I do in fact enjoy walks on the beach or in the woods. I also enjoy contemplating the history of civilization & understanding my place in everything within the context of being a believer in Jesus Christ. My hobbies are guitar, kayaking in the lake I live next to & enjoying time with my family.

1 Like

Hello,

I’m Patrick Walker a.k.a. SnoWalker and my use for Sketchup is for personal growth in graphics and design. I’ve used Adobe products since Aldus Corp. but I haven’t expanded to 3D in decades. I hope I can pick it up and contribute to the community as well.

Thank you all.

2 Likes

If you are familiar with Photoshop there are some interesting workflows you can do between SketchUp and Photoshop. Mainly by exporting Collada from SketchUp and then using Photoshop to modify the textures on the model.

Hello all,

• **`Who are you?
    I would include photo (I’m not shy.) but I can’t see how to do that in this reply. I tried a search but it doesn’t seem anyone has had this issue before and really it just doesn’t seem like a terribly important issue. Probably, I’ll figure it out later.
  • What is your industry and profession?
    I am a retired digital system engineer.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
    I use SketchUp personally for woodwork and other DIY construction.
  • **Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?I am trying to get more proficient in SketchUp in my woodworking projects. My goal is to complete a design before going to the shop to build it and thereby prevent wasting my time in the shop trying to decide what to do next. My favorite thing about SketchUp is that there is always more to learn and it is potentially useful for so many thingds.
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
    I am a beginner using sketchUp. I’ve been trying off and on for several years to make useful drawings and make them quickly, but only lately reached a point where I can make drawings of my project and lay them out for use in the shop.
  • **Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?**No, I learn by mostly doing and just haven’t looked in to any formal approach to using the tool besides the occasional video tutorial. I do have a pretty good introductory book I have use quite a bit. I will look into base camp though.
  • What is your current set up?
    Using a HP Notebook. SketchUp Pro Latest update of 2020 version.
  • **Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?**No.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? Just this morning I ran across a simple issue with drawing that I have been getting by by ignoring it for a long time and decided to look for the answer in this forum. I found it right away and got to wondering why haven’t I done this before. This is apparently a fantastic place to learn the stuff I need. So here I am. Thanks in advance to all who contribute.
2 Likes

I’m just getting started so I’ll give it a shot. Integration sounds great. Thank you.

Hello, I’m dsgnr4vr, and a practicing Landscape Architect who loves to Mt. Bike. I’m just starting to use SU personally with the goal to use it in my practice. My gaming computer is more than adequate to run multiple programs, ACAD, InDesign, Excel, etc… My favorite past times is physical outdoor adventures and being with a woman.

1 Like

Sou o Luciano Setubal, Contador e Administrador

Como hobby sempre gostei da computação gráfica e neste momento venho me esforçando muito para aprender cada vez mais sobre este maravilhoso software.

Uso o SketchUp, porque é muito prático e intuitivo, e o aprendizado está sendo muito rápido.

Digamos que sou ainda um iniciante, mas já conhecia o SketchUp desde sua versão 7, não me lembro o ano. Nos anos 90 trabalhei com serviços gráficos, e desde então tenho mantenho esse laço com o Design. Neste momento, como hobby, tenho o desejo de aprender a trabalhar junto o SketchUp com a marcenaria. Tenho reproduzido alguns projetos de marcenaria bem legais e que gostaria muito de começar, além de desenhar, colocar tudo isso em prática.

Utilizo um PC Intel Core i5 4440 CPU 3.10GHz, placa gráfica Intel 4600 (OnBoard), 8GB Memória RAM, Windows 10 pro 64 bits. SketchUp 2017 Make.

:smiley:

Se eu gosto de longas caminhadas? Sim, talvez se morasse próximo da praia, faria com freqüência.

2 Likes

Hello world.

that’s an old school response to the question.
I am an experienced 3D Designer.
I purchased a 1 year Shop subscription and frankly I’m disappointed after using ‘make’ for several projects a couple of years ago… my biggest problem right now is that i had to clear my cache (for unrelated reasons) last weekend, and now i can’t find the projects i was working on… :frowning:

1 Like

I’m Daniel, I’m a space planer and I use Sketchup to show ours creations to customers. I work on Paris la Defense (France). I’m a beginer on Sketchup, I use 3 DS Max before.
My set up is composed of an old Dell Precision 5810 with a NVIDIA Quadro K4200 and a Sketchup Pro 2020. I’ve better at home … Yep I’m not the boss!

1 Like

Hi I’m Matt

Currently studying in my spare time interior architectural and design. Live in Yorkshire (England)I wanting to become a designer for property renovations and remodelling.

I’m quite new to SketchUp and need to upgrade my PC/laptop, has anyone got any recommendations of what to go for?

1 Like