Upgrading from Pro 2022 to 2023. Where is VRAY?

I currently have a 2022 Sketchup Pro version license. I updated to 2023 through a prompt I received when I opened Sketchup. I thought I would get VRAY once I updated to 2023.

Are you able to get VRAY from an upgrade or do you have to purchase a new license? My license was renewed about a month ago.

Thanks!

Hi,

Vray is included in the Studio license.
If you have a Pro license, it’s not included.

I’m not privy with the commercial side of Sketchup, but if you contact them directly they will help you eventually upgrade to studio, if Vray is what you want.

Thanks so much. I thought so but I felt a bit conned pushing me to upgrade then leaving that out. I get it. It is marketing and rules but I felt it was a bit low. They should give you an option to purchase it for a small additional fee. Oh well.

If you have a valid or current Studio or stand alone V-Ray license, you just need to re-install it for SketchUp v.2023…Like all extensions, V-Ray doesn’t migrate automatically.

1 Like

Well, they should ! Or sketchup should warn us thay they don’t when pushing these upgrades.

You can still use sketchup 2022 to render and sketchup 2023 for everything else if you don’t have a subscription license.

What if I have a subscription license, but VRAY themselves say they are not compatible with 2023, should I upgrade and install vray anyway?

I upgraded to SketchUp Pro 2023 in September, but I was offered to upgrade again to 2023.1.340 just now.

This time I didn’t need to re-install the extensions…I wonder why? Was this just a bug fix?

An upgrade is a whole new version of software that represents a significant change or major improvement. This is can be when you upgrade from SketchUp Pro 2022 to SketchUp Pro 2023.
In that time the SketchUp will be installed into new folder structure. Your extension is installed to the old folder structure, therefore you need to reinstall them.

A software update is typically a release containing enhancements to the current version. SketchUp Pro 2023.0.xxx to 2023.1.340.
In that time the SketchUp will be installed into the same folder structure. So you do not need to reinstall the extensions, since these ara there where should be.

(see also: https://help.sketchup.com/en/migrating-to-new-version )

3 Likes

If you have a subscription to V-Ray , then you simply download the compatible version of V-Ray.
https://download.chaos.com

Any 2023 version is an update to that specific year’s version.

It’s only when you move between years that you need to do extensions etc.

Hopping on to this thread - How come we can use the PC version with a Studio licence but not Mac? I’d like to have it on my laptop

You can, you just can’t use the things that aren’t viable for Mac at all such as the RVT importer and Scan Essentials

1 Like

If you use vray it’s actually cheaper to get the studio license than a pro license and a Vray license separately.

I’ll second that, if you go to vray’s website, and log in using your trimble account, you can see you licence, and download the mac installer.
Sketchup’s website only provides the PC installer, it could be nice if it provided both.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me what plan you get (solo or premium) when you sign up for Sketchup Studio?

It isn’t defined that way.

The Studio plan gets you a subscription license for one user.

Nevermind, I just realised something just as I posted :slight_smile:

It’s not a solo licence, it’s a Sketchup licence.

Basically you have the same perks as the solo licence, BUT only for Sketchup, you can’t install vray on another software.
for now
(I mean, in the future, some Solo licence stuff could be unavailable to us, because it’s not a solo licence per say)

That is very helpful info. Makes sense it isn’t the full software available for other programs like the solo plan and only for Sketchup. We were trying to figure out if we could install V-Ray on my work computer and home computer with the Sketchup Studio plan.