The right choice of a Ruby debugger for Sketchup API

that’s it, I got there. I launched Telnet on the sketchup installation directory, then open localhost 7000.

that’s it, I got there. I launched Telnet on the sketchup installation directory, then open localhost 7000.

1 Like

Up.
I have the same problem. the same situation exactly. Ive use netstat -a also for check opening port. Ive repaired Sketchup under admin login in system (Windows). nothing!
Sketchup doesn`t load the SURubyDebuger.dll

• Sure, I using -rdebug "ide port=7000" string for starting Sketchup
  • I tryed change port 7070, 1234 etc…
  • I tryed -rdebug "ide console"
  • Tryed start from Run string from Windows…
  • SURubyDebuger.dll ver.1.2 (1.1 also tryed)
  • security policies for this file the same as others *.dll
  • Sketchup 2016 32bit
  • Win 7 64bit Pro.
    Why Sketchup doesn`t load this dll ???

Does anyone have some more information about this?
How Sketchup load debugger dll ? - All dlls from application directory? or by -rdebug "ide port=7000"
pointed string?

The DLL is placed in the SketchUp application directory, along with SketchUp.exe. It’s then loaded if SU is launched with the -rdebug command line argument.

You need a compatible version of the DLL installed. For SU2016 that would be this: Release SketchUp 2015 - 2016 · SketchUp/sketchup-ruby-debugger · GitHub
(Remember to pick the correct bitness 32bit vs 64bit as well)

Hmm. Looks like I was stupid :smile:
I hadn’t try that file version. I did not guess about it.

But one more question.
I installed Sketchup 32bit on Win7-64bit. Wich one dll bitness I must use?

PS> Nevertheless fail. 32-bit 1.0.2.0 has been loaded. I see it by dispatcher and by cmd ‘netstat -a’ (port opened). But sketchup hanguped (does not answer) and I could not connect
to it by telnet or rubymine :frowning:

Ok it’s working
something was wrong with previous “mix” variant,
My last working “train” is - SU2016_64bit on Win7_64 with Rubymine 2017 plus SURubyDebuger.dll ver.1.0.2.0 _64bit
Solved. Thank you tt_su

1 Like

The debugger DLL bitness needs to match the bitness of SketchUp.

Good to hear it’s working for you.

Any suggestion to what we can add to the documentation to make it easier to get started?

I am not godlike. one day evening my fine system was in working condition.
next day morning not working again. I tryed many ways for understand whats wrong.
rubymine will can start Sketchup. it’s ok. I have seen all variables in debuging mode. and I could repeat some comands in SU console. these comands pointed me that my code was transmitted to SU by connection from Rubymine. Sure I said it in my last forum message.
Next day I have started RM . SU started by RM. SU was hanged a few seconds (as usual)
and went on working. but in RM all icons “step on” “step out” … are not active. list variables is empty. moreover the code does not transmitted to SU…
As usual I test by netstat -ab - I’ve saw the process on 7000 port. connection established.
Ok I started SU separetly with -rdebug “ide port=7000” and connect to it by telnet localhost 7000. SU was unfreezed, but in telnet console nothing. I typed ‘break’ - no answer, nothing!
What could be wrong this time?
I am very wondered.

I seem to recall that LE_GALL had to whitelist Sketchup.exe in his firewall software. Possible???

No. Nod32 has been swiched off in autostart list.
Win brandmauer was switched off.
Also I tryed switch on brandmauer and add to ‘allow list’ SU and RM.

I can connect SU by putty.
I type ‘c’ and SU unfreezes (mean continue command)
But it going very slowly. after ~1min.
When I type ‘break’ putty console return nothing…(I am waiting:< breakpoints> </ breakpoints>

)
When I close SU, Putty says …connection abort.

Something wrong with server communication!!..

Addon:
I found that comunication is ok !!
following command is working:
v g -‘show global variable’ printed out the list of variables in putty terminal connected to SU

this is my screen of RM
I am beginner. anybody check this scrennshot.
may be something wrong?

minitest-reporters installed but RM says it need again…

Taylor, I’m happy to hear that the problem isn’t with the debugger.dll. I’m not a RubyMiner, only VScode or Notepad++ here, so I don’t know what to suggest to you next.

Nevertheless thank you for asisstance. The problem was in wrong directories association in RM.
As result RM have connected to SU but did not send any code for execution.
I’ve solved it just yesterday. Working perfect.

Why do you have a Gemfile in testup2/tools directory?
That’s not there in the original source: https://github.com/SketchUp/testup-2/tree/master/tools

This is not really testup-2 project. I’ve just named my own project ‘testup2’ :slight_smile:

Ah. Then I’m not sure why you see that message.

(or… do you have standalone Ruby installed on your system? RubyMine would use that to power its intellisense.)