Texture - Needing to Match Product Sample Colors

See if you can get to this page.

https://wausau.renoworks.com/pages/project?project={0D70B233-2FF8-494E-8CA7-6B1A1F9C1575}&lang=en

Well I’m trying to link the page–it’s deep in there.
https://wausau.renoworks.com/pages/project/new?lang=en

Go here and start a new project and act like you want to paint a photo with Main Siding and you’ll see different pallettes. Choose a siding type and you see color images. View the image for full size version to download.

pick a color and “view image” and download Looks seamless

Are these real accurate colors? IDK ask the supplier. You’re “selling” their product by presenting it.

How do you get the file “vivid_refresh…etc” to show up in the drop down menu there? This is what I see after importing the image to my sketchup work area. The only thing I see is this “spectrum” where your video there shows a few options under that drop down next to the gear

1 Like

john

3 Likes

Oh! So sO grateful John. thank you. This is going to be immensely helpful.

Thx!

Thanks! Interesting idea this somewhat worked and… excellent question if this process is really going to properly estimate the true color… Thanks for the idea! Appreciated.

It looks like you can just drag the thumbnails off the page that shows the different siding colors. Either way it seems the image is 400x400 pixels.

Interesting - I did just that and then applied it to my model and close… but I’ve got all those little white lines… anythoughts for editing those out?

Getting closer!

So you should have that as a texture now. You should be able to edit the texture in your image editor and crop it slightly to get rid of the white lines.

1 Like

There seems to be some extra pixels there… Is that the right scale? if it is worth the trouble it can be cropped off pretty easily and the texture may look OK (seamless).

hmmm, yes got the white lines out but you are right - the scale is not right. sighs… you think these companies would make it a bit easier for us! :slight_smile:

time to get myself a proper image editor!

1 Like

Once you do, go to SketchUp’s Preferences>Applications and set the image editor as the default. Then you can select the texture and open it in the image editor. Make your changes and save.

oh! wow, okay… didn’t know. Thank you!

It looks different on the Mac but you can do the same thing. That will open image in the editor. Just make sure the image gets saved in the right location. Some editors like Photoshop (or at least Photoshop Elephants on my old Mac) didn’t save to the original location automatically. On my PC I use PaintDOTNet which does. It opens much faster, too.
Screenshot - 1_30_2020 , 5_01_32 PM

When you bring a image into SketchUp as a material you set the scale. Apply it and then determine what the area needs to be to change in the material browser. Once you find the right amount it should be the same for subsequent versions of the same sort of material (e.g. vertical siding)

1 Like

All these techniques are interesting and useful. Why not download jpg or other format photo/color/sample from product literature on line. Import to Sketchup, texture them directly onto faces/components. Scale once in place as noted by pbacot. Simple and looks exactly like the manufacturer represents.
We’ve been doing it for years - colors, finishes, products, patterns, appliances, fireplaces, etc. etc…

The manufacturer doesn’t provide the jpg directly. However they have a website where the jpg are shown(and one can “paint” over a picture of the house). It’s a little convoluted because you have to work your way to that page as if you want to do this online. Once you get there there are seamless images (all 400x400) of all the color siding. You can drag them off the webpage (possibly right into SketchUp). For some reason there’s a thin white edge to clean up, for it to look seamless.

If you are doing a lot of these (all the same size images) you might find the exact size face in SketchUp to draw the material onto, upon import, and skip the step of sizing it in the material browser.

suggest affinity designer rather than the Abobe Bandwagon… a lot cheaper and very capable, its both vector and bitmap editing

PS, your shadow settings also dramatically affect how colours are rendered in SU… and of course every screen renders colour different as does everyones eyes (colourblind for example) its a complicated business colour rendering… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes thank you all - this has been helpful, followed your advice and yet somehow no mater what size I create the texture at - I get the same scale result when applied on a face. What could I be doing wrong…? This is the onyx color simply dragged of the Wausau site.onyx

How are you creating the texture, Heather?