Tangent arcs to edges equals difficult time for me

Yes. This is quickly done with a couple of test arcs and observing the VCB to get a number close to the desired radius.

I think part of your problem may be that you have enable length snapping checked, and set to 1m. This is known to introduce errors and is best left off at all times. At first glance to many it may appear like this creates an invisible grid that will keep your model square but it does not work like this and in fact can often cause snapping that is out of alignment.

Go to Model Info>Units and turn length snapping off.

1 Like

Hahahaha! Someone else pm’d me and said to turn of line snapping as well, i hav had a couple in the last hour say it to me haha. Thats funny

Looks like its time to turn it off now:)

Thanks a million for helping me out. Most my parts i draw are for large or 3d printed parts so im not to worried but when it comes to milling and machining, it needed to be more accurate nd within tolerance.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a frustrating setting, even more frustrating that it’s “on” by default. That’s why there is a whole thread about getting rid of it. Certainly best to make a custom blank template for yourself with it off.

1 Like

Hi It72884

Click in sequence on the Scenes tabs of this SU file for ideas.

Face plate.skp (177.4 KB)

1 Like

it wont let me open it. im on 2020 but wont let me open your file

He saved as 2021. Here it is downsaved for 2020

Face plate.skp (256.1 KB)

1 Like

great use of geometry theorems. I really liked that scene show. thats how i have done it with paper or on autocad. I forgot that a line from the center of a circle that passes through a point of tangecy will create a second point of tangent.
i also like the uses of scenes to illustrate something for others to follow

I am really lazy. Two easy ways to do this:

TIG’s 2D Tools and just work in 2d flat using then use the Fillet tool to make your fillets and then push pull the part up.

or

Draw everything without fillets and then use FredoCorner to add the fillets when you are done with the primary geometry…

Both will give you a good model with minimal effort. One working from 2D to 3D and the other has you working only in 3D.

The asymmetry of the part is definitely odd but the tools above won’t really care.

1 Like

Its supposed to be symmetric but skethcup arc and line snapping was causing major issues. I have figured it out now. Fredos round corner works on some applications but was not playing nice on this particular part or day haha

Check extension Round edges corners 2. I think it would be help full

3 Likes

Very clever! Looks useful.