Tagging System

Thanks for the link.

Also the “ConDoc Tools” seem to have this feature. So it can be done. All I want is this thing to be core.

I said above the plugins that do use it make use of hidden or unhidden status behind the scenes, and also make use of scenes to keep track of all this stuff.

I have used ConDocs and in the end the workflow didn’t work for me, but if the tagging were sold as a separate plugin I would try it again and buy it.

You can technically give a group or component more than one tag by tagging the top group then grouping again and tagging the second group inside the top group with a different tag. Certainly not world’s best practice. You can always name the instance as well (separate to the tag) giving you further options (especially using labels in Layout).

Layers in sketchup are called tags, obviously tags in a 3D environment aren’t going to work like layers on a 2D environment, that’s why the name was changed. Layers on layout are similar to layers on photoshop cause it’s a 2D environment.

1 Like

Layer 0/Default testing in CAD programs (2D, 3D) - Qcad, LayOut, SketchUp (similarly in the other programs - Autocad, Max, etc.)

• only one layer used (the default one)

The ‘Layer’ (Layer 0/Default/Tag) does not influence the ‘position’ of the elements (in front, in back) and does not separate them.

2D or 3D environment also does not influence how they work.

The difference is made by the properties of the geometry (sticky/non-sticky), position (3D) and the functions of the program (Send front/back).

You don’t need to explain. I’ve been using sketchup for decades.

Well, not necesarrily.
There are soooo much different naming conventions and tbh is really easy to be confused.

I believe that what he was meaning with “they are still layers” was actually “Sketchup 2020+ tags are still the same as Sketchup 2019- layers” and in that case would be somewhat correct, being that they just changed the naming convention (I suppose they did it mainly to avoid confusion between Sketchup layers and Layout layers).

What are you talking about, is more of “2d-layers” in which you have a concept of “forward and back” or, if you prefer, of “above and below” in a 2d sheet as opposed to “3d-layers” which usually refers only to visibilty concepts.

That doesn’t mean that there aren’t plenty of 3d applications like Rhinoceros which actually uses the term “layers” for 3d-layers.
In fact the term “layers” is still used also in other apps such as 3dsMax, Maya and Unity which basically don’t deal with 2d at all, but still can use 3d layers to control object’s visibility.

On the other hand, actually there are 3d softwares, one for sure is Unity3d and, if I recall correctly, Cinema4d is another one which make use (also) of tags to assign different properties that can be shared across objects belonging to different layers (usually NOT visibility) and of course an object can belong to multiple tags.

So… yeah, if one used to work in such kind of software using multiple tags assignment could be easily confused and think that also in Sketchup you can add multiple tags to an object.
Which of course is not the case, because now Sketchup simply use the term “Tags” meaning “3d Layers”.

It’s actually quite a mess to deal with different naming conventions when switching between multiple pieces of software :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Tagging has everything to do with grouping.

Tagging is achieved by grouping, attributing the element to a tag, by grouping. So according to Sketchup logic elements with multiple tags are elements that are in nested groups, with nothing but those elements, and groups with different tags. You don’t need plugins to achieve that, you just enter the group, and group again with a different tag.

I think though tagging in Sketchup is a very different concept from tagging in this other 3D app you’re hinting at. In Sketchup it’s mainly related to grouping.

So yes you can add multiple tags, but at the same time this will leed to excessive grouping. The next question that arises is, how are you going to manage al those nested tags, without completely rebuilding the application.

Maybe it’s better just to accept each application with its built in limitations and to embrace those :innocent: