Multiple tags on an entity: Is it possible?

Is it possible to assign multiple tags to an entity and then display the entities that have the selected tags?

I know you can assign a layer tag to an entity and then choose the layers you wish. But is it possible to assign multiple tags (layers or perhaps some other type of tag) to an entity. The entity would then be displayed if any of the tags assigned to it was selected.

An example would be a surface assigned to each of the two rooms that it abuts. Selecting the room on one side or the room on the other side would cause the entity to be displayed.

I realize you could assign a new layer A+B that you could enable, so you could have layers A, and B, and A+B, but after a while, all of the intersections between all of the rooms becomes unmanageable. Assigning an entity to Room1 and also to Room2 would allow common/shared walls to display with either room.

Is there some concept in Sketchup that would provide this functionality?

Not yet, but it has been requested for years. It has also been requested to filter the Outliner by tag.

I’m not sure that it’ll work this way when implemented. Keep in mind that tags are visibility toggles.
When the tag’s visibility flag is set true, entities using this tag will be displayed. When the flag is false those entities will be hidden.
Therefore, ALL of the tags used by any given entity would all need to have their visibility flag true in order for the entity to be displayed. It would taken only 1 visibility tag to be false for the entity that uses it to be hidden.

I think you would not use layer/tags for geometric contexts. This is what groups and components are for.

Layer/Tags are for categorizing and controlling visibility for sets of objects that span across the geometric hierarchy. (Examples, “Interior Doors”, “Windows”, “Furniture”, etc.)

Visibility is EXACTLY what I am trying to accomplish.

I am actually producing 3D print files, and there is one STL export file for all items of the same color. One STL file per color.

So what I want to do is tag all of the objects, Groups, components, etc with a color tag. Then, I want to hide everything and view ONLY the items with the desired color tag. I then select those and use the Export to STL utility to export ONLY the selected items, which would be the visible items which would be all of the items of that particular filament color.

So controlling visibility as a group is exactly what I am after. I want to run on or off all of “Filament1” and of “Filament5”, etc.

In this project there are hundreds of objects, groups, and components. We know which color we want each to be, and it would be good to tag them.

We basically need to make visible all items with a particular filament tag.

Some items are boundary items, so those need to have two tags so that they display for each filament. Otherwise, with Groups we would need to draft every item twice…once for each side of the boundary between colors.

Consider it this way: Two rooms, a blue and a red one. They share a common wall. We would like the tag that wall as “Blue” and also as “Red”. The wall is needed to enclose the blue room and also to enclose the red room.

If we did groups, we would need to draft this wall twice…once in each group. As the rooms are often quite complex that would be an enormous amount of drafting.

To help you understand in more depth: We are 3D printing a complex printed circuit board with many hundreds of components. They are color coded based upon certain requirements, such as LEDs which must match up with light-pipes. As you can see, the shapes are complex.

This 3D print will help us see the board many months before we will have a production model. That way we can address the various mechanical and thermal requirements.

a non-proprietary example model will make it easier to see…

or some images, is that possible?

john

1 Like

I ask this from ignorance as I don’t have any 3D printer, let alone a multi-filament one: if you draw two touching but distinct objects in SketchUp and export that as stl, will the slicer and printer generate them as two objects or merge them as one?

The answer is vital to your goal, because in SketchUp an object can exist in only one context (model, group, or component definition) at a time, regardless of visibility. The only way to change an object from one context to another is to cut and paste it. So, making a wall and an adjacent room visible based on tags would still leave them as distinct SketchUp objects. If the slicer merges all contiguous objects into one, multiple tags would serve your goal. But if not, it won’t work regardless of whether SketchUp supports multiple tags.

2 Likes