SU Slow to load models on a powerful Windows system?

Hi guys.
Just to register that i have the very same problem with Sketchup 2018 taking a looooooong time to open files. (Eternal time)
And then after read this post and keeping the materials tab minimized when I close Sketchup, this issue seen to have desapeared.

I have 4 Computers with Sketchup installed, and this problem only appear in one of then, a I9 coffe lake with Nvidea 1660.

Try out a trial of SketchUp 2020. See the release notes … I think improvements were made to speed model opening and use of the Outliner.

1 Like

Hi guys!

Is there a way to ensure that Materials Tray always start closed?

When I close the files, I’ve been always checking that the Materials are closed, but sometimes when I open the same file, Materials are open again and it takes a looong time to open…
Seens random to me…

The SketchUp API does not allow closing or collapsing any of the panels on Windows. They might collapse on Mac if the UI::show_inspector("Materials") is called when it’s open.

Otherwise the settings are held in the preferences JSON files. But we cannot change them whilst SketchUp is running because it overwrites them upon closing.

The closest hopefully we could come automatically (within SketchUp) is if the “Materials” inspector is wrapped in it’s own tray, then the tray can have a shortcut keychord assigned, and then a little plugin with an AppObserver that uses the Windows Scripting Host’s Sendkeys method to send the keystroke to SketchUp to close the tray.
However I haven’t yet tested whether SketchUp will accept such keystrokes when it’s within the shutdown cycle.

The only other option might be an external process that waits for SketchUp to close and then “tweaks” the JSON file. (Or is used to open SketchUp and does the “tweaking” before SketchUp loads.)

I notice something unusual:
When i run the System Checkup 2020 it didn’t show any problems.
When i run the System Checkup 2019 it shows a warning message: Checkup 2019 Checkup 2020

I just clicked the Checkup button in 2020 & it opens this page.

When I click on the link(s) I get the 2019 Checkup download but where do you get the 2020 Checkup one? I like the way Trimble have listed 2 download links with absolutely no info on which is which. That’s handy.

It’s not too clear.

I ended up at the same page, but if you look to the right you’ll see the select a version drop down box.

You need to select 2020.

You then get a page with only one download link which, for me, was the 2020 checkup file.

1 Like

If you scrolled down below the download link on the CheckUp page you see a section labeled:
Results and what they mean”.

(Apparently the CheckUp 2020 has worked around the MSinfo32 bug.)

Thanks. Apparently my domestic blindness has evolved into monitor blindness…lol.

The double lines seems wrong, I will tell someone.

When there are two lines, one of them its 2020.

Hi Colin, I only get one line when I select 2020 in the drop down list to the right but does seem funny that 2019 has two lines & be good to fix. It would be better if you could fix the clipping plane issue too :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :wink:

I would urge everyone experiencing these performance problems to post the results they get when taking the test posted in

1 Like

Me too, but having two 2020 lines would be odder still. I think the page is putting in the version you have selected, plus 2020.

HI all, I have a similar situation with SU2020.2. It takes me 15 mins to load the program by itself, ie without opening the file.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks