SU Slow to load models on a powerful Windows system?

TheGuz,
Could you please let us know if this was corrected in SketchUp 2019?

Thank you -
Aaron Marr

The cause of this issue was figured out late in the game for the 2019 release, BUT I’ve seen an early version of the fix in action and it is being prepared as an update.

2 Likes

TheGuz,

Thanks man, you’re the best, really appreciate the update.

Best regards,
Aaron Marr

1 Like

One way to speed it up is to have folder with only the materials/ textures you are using as below

Saves loading time of Materials tray

1 Like

TheGuz,

Just wanted to check back in on this, I paid to upgrade to 2019, but haven’t done the install just yet. I was going to update the same time this fix is ready. Any chance this has been patched? Or is it still pending?

Thank you -
Aaron Marr

Hi Aaron!
Today, I received information from a tester who illustrated that this issue, though addressed with the new 19.1 version, may not have actually been solved yet. We have requested additional info from this user for testing in house and the developers will digging into this deeper. Will keep everyone posted! I’d like this issue to be put to bed nearly as much as all of our SketchUp users do.

1 Like

Any updates Guz?

Hi AK_SAM! Progress is being made, thanks to everyone providing feedback on what helps (from a work around standpoint). That, along with the deep dives @colin is doing are pointing QA toward a solution.

1 Like

I don’t have statistics but I have a feeling that many users that have reported this behaviour have one of the new Nvidia 20… graphics cards.

Curiously I do not have an issue with model loading on 2019 Pro. I am running an RTX 2070. But I have an issue with items like a 2x4 bleeding through a 1/2" cladding when slightly zoomed out and rotated. I can also select the item that is behind the cladding. This also happens with 2018. I have shared this with support.

The bleeding through less than 1" has been around for many years on all GPUs I’ve used. I hope to see it remedied as well.

Bleed through is a side effect of the way OpenGL handles distance from the camera. It breaks the distance into “bins” and when two objects fall into the same distance bin at the same screen coordinates, it can’t tell which is in front so it displays both. I think this would be very hard or maybe impossible to avoid.

Sure, I guess. My point was only that it doesn’t seem to be related to a specific machine, OS or video card, which is what this thread is about.

That being said, if it’s as simple as bins causing an issue, then the solution is right there ready to be fixed. Most other modeling software seems to do this no issue.