I’m a production Designer working in film and TV. My team use sketchup a fair bit and we would like to spec the advanced camera tools to match a Sony Venice, as per below. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
Thanks for getting back to me, if you mean in sketchup. I always view that in the default setting of sketchup, if you mean on Cadrage, here is shot from that. I’ll be honest, when it comes to screen ratios/sensors/anamorphic etc I am not that savvy. I just want to be able to view our sets in something that is as near as dammit to camera we’re using on the show
I’m a veteran still photographer still trying to master modern video technology, so I’m not an expert, but It looks like there’s a lot of information particularly on page 12 of this brochure.
So, that’s saying the image sensor size is 24.1mm x 20.2mm. I don’t know a lot about anamorphic optics, but the vertical size, which is slightly less than still 35mm full frame, should determine the vertical angle of view for SketchUp, I should think, which is what matters in native SU. That plus knowing the aspect ratio and the Safe Frames plugin you can navigate around in SU for previewing camera views.
While everyday SketchUp uses the vertical angle of view to set the camera, ACT uses the width of the sensor and the aspect ratio. The thing I’m foggy on is that with anamorphic lenses, I think you have to enter the effective width of the sensor given the compression of the lens, not the actual width. With a compression ratio of 2x on those lenses, then you either set the camera to 40.4mm wide and 2.00 aspect or 48.2mm wide and 2.40 aspect.
I started with Red One 4096x2048 4k2:1, for aspect, but the sensor size will be different.
I don’t know how to create a new camera, but you can edit one that’s been set.
With an ACT camera scene set up, right click on the scene to get to edit the camera dialog:
Thanks so much for your reply and I will say I do feel like I’m rather stabbing around in the dark a bit! But I think I have applied what you said, and to check I put a screen grab from CAD rage on top, so basically the aspect ratio was the same. I may try a test with a subject standing a set distance away, try a shot on CAD Rage then recreate in sketchup, to see what I get.
But ould I be right in saying the shrinking and stretching effect of anamorphic lenses cannot really be created in sketchup?
ACT knows nothing of Anamorphic compression, so you calculate out the virtual image sensor width by multiplying the actual width by the anamorphic lens factor, but that would be the full image frame giving a 2.39/1 aspect. For the 2/1 aspect, I would work backwards from image sensor height and aspect ratio, so I believe the answer is:
Aspect Ratio: 2.00
Image Width: 40.4 mm
From my Excel worksheet:
Imager
Resolution
Anamorphic
mode
Width
Height
Lens Factor
Width
Height
Aspect Ratio
5.8K 6:5
5792
4854
(none)
24.1
20.2
1.19
2.00
48.2
20.2
2.39
2.00
40.4
20.2
2.00
I had to look up Cadrage director’s viewfinder to know what you’re talking about - Looks pretty slick. I’ve used the Blackagic Cam app for video on my phone, but that’s just shooting, not planning.