So, where is this heading?

You’re absolutely correct that Connect’s 3D model presentation is different from SketchUp’s, and I agree that clients will best appreciate model presentations that are stylistically consistent.

But the power and capability of Connect’s collaboration features are without peer. When we add collaboration features to SketchUp (you mention clash, revision history, etc.), as we began to do last fall with the release of SU2016, they will continue to be based on technology under development in Connect.

john

That integration of TC’s technology into Sketchup was exactly what I had in mind but dared nor write. I’m imagining this being exclusivelly on 3D side of things, of course, but I could easily see an inspector exactly like components, or outliner, or entity info for Trimble connect, where all that’s happening in TC webpage, could happen inside sketchup as you model.

Yesterday, as I was investigating Tekla Bimsight and TC, I also found that Bimsight is able to cope up with Huge amount of models and information even on a laptop.

That, of course, with all the bells and whistles, I imagine to be impossible inside sketchup. However at a smaller scale, having TC and Tekla’s 3D toolset readilly available in Sketchup via a plugin, even with limitations, would be unvaluable.

For instance, having clash and revision history information being displayed in a 2D Layout file, with colors, would be something of similar to a miracle. I’d use it in all my projects and dealing with consultants would be incredibly fast!

Tekla BIMsight is now Trimble Connect Desktop. You can download the latest version from the Connect web application. There is also a mobile app.

john

1 Like

Ah Hah! I was wondered what TCD was.

So BIM sight, and Ghery technologies have been merged into Trimble Connect, right?

And for what I understand, Ghery Technologies is now a service where you support architects, contractors or owners by implementing BIM technology, design parametrization and project management, right?

If that’s it, that’s very interesting.

Where does Sketchup fit there?

I’m preparing myself to shift my business into bigger buildings and competitions and the software I base my work in (I guess you know wich), seems to still have it’s… shortcomings…

However, it’s brilliant for design (concept and construction docs) and presentations wich is basically what I like. It’s not brilliant at parametrizing details on complex geometries, like Rhino/Grasshopper or Revit/Dynamo (wich I don’t use and I’d rather avoid) , or on complex curved shapes, but basically that’s the major design flaw I see in my process.

Would it be possible that someone like me would hire Trimble/Ghery Technologies to manage parametrization and BIM side of things until my favorite design software is ready for that sort of thing? (Main question might also be if it ever will?)

Or am I missing the point here?

EDIT: Let me just say that it seems to me that these side conversations we’ve pulled from this releases are eye openning! Thanks!

Hi @JQL,

Check out Gehry Technologies’ list of services here.

• Chris

Chris,

Yes, I’ve seen that, it seems to me I basically sumarized it above.

I’m still very far from that, but I like the prospect, thanks!

Hey guys, great discussion! Love to see that Sketchup is evolving in to a more effective and usable program.

In the terms of “where is this heading” I was curious when if at all certain functionality such as importing CAD/DXF files and functioning with the Ruby API will be added?

I know that those are more pro features and there is a lot of talk that a pro version of my.sketchup will come to fruition but I am just curious of when we should expect to see that (if at all).

Thanks!

1 Like

I would think that the file format conversions will be implemented inside Trimble Connect as a professional server-side workflow, and not as a JavaScript object that is downloaded into every user’s browser each time my.SketchUp is loaded. Ie, it would be a waste of bandwidth, and the user’s memory.

Having the features implemented on the server opens up the possibility of both subscription and pay-per-use revenue.

1 Like

Hi Taylor -

Good questions, and certainly ones we have at the top of our list. Right now, we’re concentrating hard on fleshing out my.SketchUp’s interface to expose many of the features folks are used to in the desktop application. We have given a lot of thought to the eventual API and importer/exporter approach in my.SketchUp, but we don’t have anything to announce just yet. There is a great deal of technical unknowns still and we don’t want to promise anything we can not deliver.

Regards,
Tyler

1 Like

“Where is this heading”
Have a look at OnShape. Full parametric mechanical design package (like Solidworks) run entirely in the cloud with full drawings capabilities.
It has live multi-user for modelling and drawings, sharing capabilities with permissions (export, edit, view, comment, markup etc), data management (revisions, change management etc) it has mobile apps which run close to the full cad package (not just a viewer) and API with integrated IDE all built in. Only thing it lacks is an offline version.
Nothing like this exists in the AEC industry to this level at this time - this is where My.Sketchup has a huge advantage and head start to fill that void. A full implementation of Sketchup Pro and Layout on the cloud with multi-user capabilities, API etc. would be awesome.
Might be hoping for too much but … fingers crossed.

1 Like

I’ve looked at OnShape several times before. I have two issues with it:

• It seems great for mechanical engineering and product design, but somehow not that fit for AEC, as you say;
  • Pricing seems high.