Sketchup now subscription based? Keeping 2017 FOREVER

Trimble do not develop much SketchUp since they buy it, they develop a lot to lock licence and to make a cash machine. SketchUp is now CashUp

1 Like

Please would someone re-post the link for the SketchUp Make 2017 downloader? Saw it on the forum a couple days ago. Thanks!

Danke seer!

I agree, the forced rental model both traps the users and opens them to extortion. Keyhole software developed Sketchup, Google bought it then Trimble. I have used it and despite paying for it over and over again I haven’t noticed anything useful in the updates, just the absolute nuisance of having to set it up again each time, (there is no config save and load) only to find some of my plugins no longer work and the skp files are made incompatible. We are being lured into a trap of dependency. It is the same hooky business model that drug dealers use. This is a software business fashion at the moment, we need a good class action against the sellers to stop it. They use the threat of cutting the user off from using all their accumulated work and intellectual investment in the software to ensure that they keep paying the annual ransom. I have every previous working versions of sketchup archived and all my data in the old formats, and even computers that run previous versions of windows independent of the internet. Because you can’t trust them not to screw you.

2 Likes

I downloaded 2017 and re-installed, and Sketchup Make runs again. Thanks for the heads-up on the 2017 installer.

I have purchased the 2018 version and it had given me so much problems just so I can buy the 2020 subscription. I also am not happy that they went that route. I just think it’s a waste.

1 Like

Tony, I have had SU since year dot. I loved it, however I have had so much trouble with 2020 Pro, its driving me nuts, I run ACAD lt (licence) and VRAYNext/ Twinmotion, as well.
Pro Layout keeps crashing (sorry Colin still happening) and 2020 “crashes for a something to do” if I export or import any thing, so Im saving every 2 mins. “DAFT”
I got a decent machine, just spent on maxing the RAM on 2019 MAC
Im a bit of an old guy so the re learning of another software seems a bit daunting, plus Im up for renewal July AGHHHHHHH.
sorry this post means nothing to most , just wanted a rant

1 Like

You can no longer buy Maya. All Autodesk went subscription. Just saying…

This is why I prefer to ignore all software product with unique subscription licence as Autodesk, or Adobe.

There is an interesting solution to Adobe, is Affinity, with cool licence policy and price.

I banished Photoshop since several years, and now I use Affinity Photo. I buy a few days ago a promotional license to Affinity Publisher under 28$, to eventually replace Layout, since the forced subscription announcement.

Dear Tony Wilton,

There is another problem with forced rental model : you pay to use a software, you don’t pay to get improved application, I mean you don’t pay for innovation and you don’t get innovation.

This is why I am interesting in software you can do and control. This is why I am interested in Grasshopper. After learning it and use it well, you are surprised how it is easy to create nice and advanced algorithm, same concept as advanced function from Revit, or Archicad

1 Like

Yes, Affinity saw an opening and moved in like a tidal wave and good for them in doing so! As with AutoDesk, Adobe and now SketchUp I am lucky as that my work can afford their subscriptions. If it was my money I’d be on Affinity for sure. There are some great alternatives that almost work as well as AutoCAD LT but to me (using Acad since '91 in tech school) I have not found them to be as “fluid” in their work flows. I have a mission critical program called Archibus that HAS to use full AutoCAD and as such I have no choice. I also work with outside A/E/C firms that use Revit so I am tied to this as well and with this we have 3 copies of the A/E/C Collection and now under subscription (and 5 copies of LT). I love SU and I try to use it at every opportunity. Am I happy about the new Trimble subscription policy…no but I will continue to use it and we’ll see what is to come from it.

2 Likes

@Last Software developed SketchUp.

2 Likes

My mistake @Last Software it was.

I quite understand your position. I found out about SU from some architectural students at university. I had it before Google bought it and did quite a lot of modelling for GE. They no longer accept models from independent contributors. Then Trimble bought it , the only reason I can see that they’ve got it is to corner and milk the users. I had expected that they would build in things that only appeared as plugins. All that has happened is updating which ruins my personalisation and stops my paid plugins working. It is pure exploitation and now they are going for subscription I think I’ll roll back and stop paying anything, it is just not worth it.

ditto, not going to continue paying will stick with current version, seems there was .plist file that i could get rid of and its made this old timer so much happier, i dont do big stuff, architectural single houses, and I render in Vray for close up stuff and twinmotion for the overall views. Mind they are all doing subscription. stay safe all

Fortunately, they all don’t