SketchUp in 2019: where great ideas get to work

Please don’t change the native mouse button functions. If a right click-hold orbit is incorporated make it an option, not the default. The combination scroll wheel zoom and orbit is the fastest most efficient method, not requiring a finger move. I’ve used many programs and many mice including the magic mouse, I have one sitting on my desk right now, but the three button mouse is better.

In 8 years of daily Sketchup, this never happened to me, not once.

At the moment for sure, because others mice are not supported.

You’re definitely right on this, and you just gave another reason for supporting the Magic Mouse: the whole mouse is a zoom wheel (and it’s a plus), but the orbit input is missing.

I wasn’t asking to remove or change the actual mouse buttons function, but just to add the right click+hold=orbit to the actual SketchUp mouse settings :slight_smile:

Hi,

May not have explained properly… My SK2018 one year is up. The reseller contacted me to upgrade …
You are not suggesting that these subscription can upgrade for free … are you?

Yes. late in projects but I arrive at a point where it slows down so much that updated info takes hours when it should take minutes. I have different layers for everything and it helps to turn some off. But how do bill for that time? Schedule for it?

1 Like

William,
I assume you mean “update model reference” is causing heavy delays…if so that sounds like it could potentially be improved…I want to say improved greatly via current LO model/display/export settings…but without an example file remedies/recommendations would just be guessing.

Charlie

1 Like

Back in 2009 when I started using SketchUp people would ask me how to make dash lines… did this happen to anyone else?

I’d spend a good 5 minutes explaining how they were unnecessary in the sketchup world because of the way it models in 3d rather than in 2D where you need to show things that aren’t visible. Sure I use dashed lines in layout for professional engineering drawings, but maybe Trimble when they released SU2019 were just looking at features to implement from 10 years ago. Maybe they’re so far back in development that in 10 years they’ll find out what the core community has been asking for and layout will be quick or SketchUp won’t lag with large textures, shadows and complex models. Maybe in 20 years Trimble connect will work with more than one XRef and be useful… too bad they made a subscription model everyone hates instead of a kickstarter and we’ll have to wait or move softwares.

I’m with Eneroth: more plugins and less native tools that I won’t use is better. I have 19 extensions enabled used every day for engineering and architectural work(weld, 1001bit tools, 3skeng, bezier line, CleanUp, face creator, fog, solid inspector, twilight, etc…); 12 disabled that are occasionally used (contours, fur, etc…) or useless (Advanced Camera tools).

2 Likes

I don’t use any plugins right now, but there is one I would buy in a second: One that opens SketchUp viewports into Scribus or Adobe InDesign. It would be so great to be able to compost LayOut.

1 Like

Maybe not exactly what you wanted but perhaps still helpful. This extensions shows you what height a SketchUp view should be scaled to for a scale to apply. You can export a 2D view from SketchUp and apply this height e.g. in InDesign if you want a scaled drawing.

When creating it I had scaled perspectives in mind but it works just as well for parallel projections too.

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/eneroth-scaled-perspective

Pete! It’s been too long. You should have come to the last basecamp. We talked a bunch about you…j/k. Come to the next one please!

Hi PM, Ditto that, I’m the same.

I’ve often wondered why SU-HQ haven’t approached SU extension developers to buy their efforts & make these tools part of the programme to be smarter as you say. If they did this now & then, (may have already ?) it may inpsire more developers as I’m sure they would be paid handsomely as they should be & saves time for all wouldn’t it.

I thought the Dashed lines from smustard plugin was dead, I had this once but thought it wouldn’t work with later SU versions, so I dropped it. Can anyone confirm if ok to use with SU-2018/19.

1 Like

I could not make it, was finishing off sets for the Titan games, all depends when it is, game shows and TV shows are no longer seasonal, finding time off is getting difficult. Hope you are well mate, will def try make the next one unless I say something stupid here and make coming to Base Camp awkward, something I’m good at.

1 Like

@eneroth3
Thank you for the link, it looks like this plugin would be very helpful when exporting 2D scenes to a desktop publishing (DP) program. But the beauty of viewports, of course, is that they make your static 2D documents dynamic. The workflow goes like this: (a) make changes in your 3D model, (b) meet some friends over a five-course lunch, (c ) have a little nap to process the Bordeaux and the digestifs, and by the time you wake up (d) LayOut is hopefully done updating your 2D docs.

It is a beautiful concept, unfortunately viewports are tethered to the awful LayOut which, for reasons that have already been expounded upon at length, is a grossly incompetent program.

A plugin that lets users open Sketchup viewports in a competent DP software would be a game changer, and I hereby promise to treat its developer to the aforementioned lunch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This technique is strongly use in video game engine for many many years. It’s called PROXY. (Lumion and 3DSMax use it too) I simulate this technique in SU. I model huge siteplan for event and I have element with 3 levels of details. Per example seats in an arena. I have a 2D, 3D lowpoly and 3D highpoly, on 3 differents layers which I switch on/off in my workflow. Vectorworks have a similar workflow.

But I still face problems with SU and big files. Event if Iswitch my Highpoly layer off, SU visual is lagging like hell, and I’m dropping a tear when I look at my 7 CPU out of 8 sleeping on the job. So in a way, because of the huge lack in performance of SU, my technique make sometimes the problem worst because I tripled every components instead of light down the model like the proxy technique would do. This is for me a day to day struggle.

edit addition: I remember saw this underperforming issue getting better with SU2017, and for some reason getting worst with SU2018. They fixed many things in 2018 and very good new features were added, but for some reason, big files was much more smooth on 2017. Can’t wait to see how 2019 will do.

To have a “smart” viewport in these other software they would need their own individual plugins. I don’t even know what plugin API they have or how often it changes so the plugin needs updating. Anyhow, I’ve been thinking of a plugin that runs inside of SU, that re-exports selected scenes to the same file location as they were last exported, so you only have to update the links in the the publishing software.

2 Likes

That would be super handy! I usually export from SketchUp and create an illustrator file for every plan, then I place (link) those illustrator files into InDesign. The problem is, as you said, that I have to manually export every scene from SketchUp to Illustrator whenever there is a change, sometimes I may have 50 or more plans, so it is very time consuming. Having this kind of automatic export tool would be a godsend. But the tool should let you decide what scenes you want to export, and define the scale for every scene individually.

2 Likes

And the scale field should let you type in 1:100 or 1m=42" etc, you shouldn’t have to manually search for it in a noisy list like you do in LayOut.

2 Likes

Last time I checked Skalp licenses are permanent and include one year maintenance updates.

Well… Toy anvil maybe… Still ways to go.

Today I finally convinced my colleague to use SketchUp, definitely a win.
But, guess what? She’s keeps clicking and holding the right click button to orbit.
Yes, she used Rhinoceros.

1 Like