SketchUp in 2019: where great ideas get to work

sketchup

sketchup has fallen victim to the professional community. Interior Designers. Architects of small and medium forms. Furniture makers, etc. sketchup has occupied a niche between large programs (cad, bim) and the lack of programs. Let’s be honest. Initially, he was not intended for this. He was perfect back in 2008. And it fully corresponded to its name - Scetch up! In 2019, developers need to make a decision, either they meet the needs of the professional community, or adhere to the original concept.

P.S. I want to express many thanks to the developers of this product. For all 10 years that I was with you. Sketchup is a significant value in history 3d. Along with leading products of this industry.

Interior designers and small-scale architects are in great need of a new product, or a rethinking of skechup. help us, somebody!)))

Hi Joe! You will be able to renew your M&S OR switch to a subscription - whichever works best for you. Currently, we do not have a date when we will sunset the classic M&S upgrades completely. You will always be able to use the version you’ve last upgraded to in perpetuity, even if the day comes that we do not offer M&S anymore.

thx for the reply.

But the decision that the Classic M&S will be phased out is made?

Because you need to be on active support to get a new version (which is usually once per year) and if you miss a year - you will need to pay extra fee. So it will not be just $120 if you miss a year or 2. At least - this is my understanding. (in my mind was always treating it as subscription)

Yes. We will phase it out eventually, but we do not have a timeline as to when the sunset will occur.

To be honest, I think Trimble just saved SketchUp. Or it would have done the same as many other Google products - just die. And with Trimble, SketchUp, which was good, became even better.

So you may call SU2019 a revision of market and commercial model to make it sustainable. I suppose. (which is not a big for users, but hopefully will make them stay around for years and years)

what happens if we have to transfer to a new machine? Will we always be able to use the version last purchased and upgraded?

are you all singing from the same hymn sheet …

this seems to be mixed messaging to me…

john

Hum!!! This is very scary. Because Subscribtion is not an option for me (because I can’t depend on the web to work), this my cue to start learning a new software for the future of my business. That’s why I barelly slept last night!

I’m so scared of the future of softwares. With everyone going subscription method, the access to internet will become more important than anything and developper don’t seems to understand that it’s not accessible everywhere on the planet. It’s like if car industry switch to electrical car and remove all gaz station for 2020. That would be a good thing for our planet but I’m not sure the transition will go smoothly. After that very long and shaky night, I think I’m gonna become an hairdresser.

I really love SketchUp and use it as my main software for the last 10 years, but I have the feeling that they will put this software not accessible to me anymore… at least when the classic M&S gonna go away. I just don’t understand why a company would want to make a product not accessible to a reliable customer. I really don’t get it. I’m sorry SketchUp team. I sold your software to sooo many people through the years but despite your good developping work, I’m not happy about this bad business move.

Indeed, I’m not happy with the idea of sunsetting the Classic license.

But currently with the new Pro and Studio subscription license SketchUp is available offline…

The spinning beach ball makes the amount of productive time in Layout at about 20%. Will this be addressed??? No problem if you want more money. I demand better performance because I eat a lot of time waiting for Layout to catchup. I jokingly called the app Catchup rather than Sketchup.

Subsciption has nothing to do with a browser-based online version but is a type of licensing which is now available for the SketchUp Pro Classic desktop version too.

… via the contained Pro Classic desktop license only.

Total Pants Guys!!! No wonder you waited so long to break this one. I have been using SU for a very long time and promoting it at the educational facility where I work as well as architecturally. One of the primary reasons for staying was the perpetual license. At your rates I can buy ArchiCAD over five years and have a perpetual license with them AND get upgrades. Major disappointment and a total turn around from the free, fun product that could then be upgraded to a professional piece of kit. I think you just shot yourself in the foot. Take a look around, I think you will lose between 40 to 60% of your current client base. You will have certainly have lost me unless we get back to a sub $1000 CAD program.

:thinking: at www.sketchup.com/plans-and-pricing#for-professional in the SketchUp Pro Subscribe column it says “Professional desktop software + Premium online modeler” - have I missed something?

I never talked about the web based! I’m talking about the SketchUp Pro Classic desktop version.

Let me ask you, once the classic M&S goes away, and I switch to a Monthly Subsribtion method, Am I will be able to work on SU and LO if there’s no web on my computer?

This thinking is incorrect. For SketchUp Desktop apps, subscription does not mean that they “run on the web” or can’t run offline. SketchUp desktop still runs on your computer’s hardware and can be used offline. That will remain true for the foreseeable future.

your

read different to me.

The initial product activation of the last versions did already needed an internet access to reach the Trimble license server. With a subscription version it will be pretty likely the same, i.e. needs to conatct the license server at least at the time the subscription is lapsing to check for an extened runtime bought.

Yes! You need to be online periodically so your subscription license can be verified but otherwise you can run offline for about 28 days. This isn’t a huge change from the requirements of a classic license which needs the web in order to activate on a machine or be removed properly so it can be moved elsewhere.