Sketchup from 2d to 3d BIM

Hi,there,
Our group is looking forward to find a solution to automaticly convert 2D CAD dxf/dwg type file(three views of an object ) into 3D BIM file.
We want to figure out whether SketchUp can aotomaticly do it.
If not ,what about draw it by human?How?
Thanks!

To create 3D models using dwg files (2D views), or reference images (the same) you can follow such tutorials:

1 Like

Thanks.
I am new here.I am just learing this software recently.Could you tell me how to convert reference images to 3D model please?
This would be a great help.

1 Like

No, it cannot. A human must do the modelling, using the 2D drawings as reference

You have to ask yourself what part of the process should be automated and to what degree or level.
There are extensions that can automate the modeling to a very high level, but the information that is attached on the elements can be more complicated, for ‘bim’ is actually something you agree upon with others.

In our region, the first BIM-mers were monks,I guess. They liked to write everything down.

Maybe @AndrewRubySketch has an answer?
Or @medeek?

2 Likes

Thanks Mike, it appears as though Cony wants to use the image to create a model automatically? The image has no vectors he intends to use an image with texture?
If this is the case, the simple answer is; it is not possible ( at this time anyway).
If the question is to change vectorised, information-rich lines to a 3D model, then the answer is yes, it is possible. However, it is not probable without close collaboration with the original geometry creation software developer/s and also the end-user adhering to a disciplined workflow.
To lighten up the conversation a little I created this GIF in Sketchup builder%20test2

2 Likes

ooops in a hurry, I only read the last few posts and not the original. Sorry, the second half of my response answers the question.

1 Like

Even if it was possible to devise an algorithm that could effectively convert a rasterized image into lines/vectors and then from that create the 3D model there would still be problems of inclusions. In other words one could only do this sort of thing with very simple 3D objects, if the geometry became too complex then it would fail.

2 Likes