SketchUp file views in Mac Finder

My Mac (Mojave) Finder window often fails to show me an image thumbnail of any selected SketchUp or LayOut files, instead displaying only a generic blank placeholder. I am looking for any file viewer software that will do a better job of showing me a graphic image (the more detailed the better) of each file WITHOUT having to open each one. Most of the file viewer products I can find out there do not list .skp and .layout file formats as compatible. Any leads would be most appreciated!

1 Like

This isnā€™t a solution. It doesnā€™t work and even when it does, itā€™s temporary, replaced by a generic icon a moment later, exhibiting the exact behavior originally noted.

I know, but it identifies the problem.

1 Like

Checkout Component finder of Flextools:
ComponentFinder ā€“ FlexTools

1 Like

ā€¦ with SketchUp software.

my old extension ā€˜Add Iconā€™ from the dark days of NO mac previews at all, still seems to work on v19 even though I havenā€™t updated it for a few versionsā€¦

itā€™s in the SketchUcation Plugins storeā€¦

john

Yea, but until we fix it, you could crontab -e and every couple of minutes do qlmanage -r.

I canā€™t tell if youā€™re joking or not.

Thatā€™s the beauty of the response: if you know what cron is, itā€™s very practical. If you donā€™t and donā€™t care, itā€™s a joke. Works for everyone. I filed the bug for it, which I should have done after my original post when Mojave came out. My bad.

1 Like

Thanks Mike - Component Finder does work pretty well, and accomplishes what I need. It can be used to view icon images of ALL SU & LO files, not just ā€œComponentsā€, which makes it very helpful. Sorry for the delay in thanking you!

Iā€™m noticing that Mojave is doing a better job with Quick Look on my machine. The only icons that werenā€™t working were old models (circa SketchUp 6, 7 or 8), and opening those files and saving then gave me a preview in Quick Look. Anyone else observe this?

yes, itā€™s the same on all versions of mac since apple switched to 64 bitā€¦
the stored images are there and can be extracted, but can not be read by quicklook unless updated with a new saveā€¦

john

But mine previously mine was hanging, and thatā€™s not happening. Iā€™m upgrading to 10.14.6 just to confirm, but itā€™s better for me than the initial Mojave release.

Edit: 10.14.6 installed, and no, itā€™s not a lot better. I had to do at least one ā€˜sudo qlmanage -rā€™ in order to see an update. So I wont close the issue.

I think it was Millard, in the mist of time, said that SU was embedding pngā€™s that suited 32 bit OSā€™s, that intel macā€™s had issues readingā€¦

but that should only affect pre v17 skpā€™sā€¦

john

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.