SketchUp 2016 Wish list

I would like to see a small addition. when using a tool, such as the line tool, it can be hard to align to an axis. you are often forced to rotate the model in order for sketchup to pick up the axis. a simple change would be to allow you to hit one of the arrow keys, while still holding the mouse button, and cycle through the axis’.

@Jeffery, please describe step by step with some tools as an example.
I just tried the ‘Line’ tool and the 'Arc’two point and they respond to hitting an [Arrow] key to then lock to the axis.

edit: Sorry @Syroezhkin, I ment Jeffery in my question above

I think you may have missed a simple basic: click once to place the start point of a line, click again to place the end point: You don’t need to hold the button down. (and the arrow keys work between these two actions to constrain to the axis)

you and wo3dan are right, sorry. the one it would really help with is the rectangle though

I’m in need of a simple quads export. Tris is making things really tough with architecture exports and external UV meshes. Manually creating the geometry is quite time consuming, but the results work very well in Blender. More attention to export options for PRO users, better more advanced options to say: C4D native files. Auto-purge etc. Better scene management and less abruptly switching camera tools.

Just to add the FBX exporter for pro is quite old. Maybe update that to 7.4? These little additions can make huge differences.

It would be great to be able to see which computers are using the Sketchup Pro licenses at any given time with 2016. Sketchup allowed administrators to view this in previous versions. Not having this feature in 2015 has caused my team an immeasurable amount of wasted time and frustration.

i would like to see lumion type navigatio (both mouse and keyboard)

My request is for an alternate shadow system for objects in space. When I’m not working on architectural CAD projects, I make space stations and starships in SketchUp.

This new, alternate system would behave as if there was no ground or sky (or Earth), allowing the sun/lightsource to be moved to any azimuth and altitude. If the ground is enabled, it would have no effect on the shadows.

As far as the UI is concerned, a simple toggle in the shadow settings window could turn this on, replacing the date and time sliders with altitude (-90 to 90) and azimuth (0 to 360) sliders (changing the toolbar too, if enabled), and disabling the display on ground checkbox.

I’m sure this mode could be used for other types of visualizations too!

1 Like

-Dashed line styles in sketchup with vector rendering of dashed lines in layout.
-Option for ‘rotate’ menu item in layout that I can turn into a hotkey.
-Menu items ‘flip along components red axis/blue/green’ and ‘flip along groups red axis/blue/green’ submenus should get rid of the ‘component’ and ‘group’ names so that I can assign a single hotkey that works to flip both groups and components along a certain axis. It’s a minor bug that causes a bit of pain.

Thanks!

1 Like

Selection and transformation of topology across groups/ components - i.e. I have a a series of window components or groups (with grouped trim, jamb, sash, glazing) in a group of geometry comprising a wall. I want to adjust the mullion between the windows so the window on the left of the mullion are 2’ wide and on the right are 4’ ( where currently they are all the same size, and I want to move the whole glazing assembly 3’ down the wall along with the interior partition it is next to. Current system requires me to tackle resizing each group resulting in many many steps whereas in any 3d program where you can select topology (segment, vertice, face) across multiple objects and move them. 30+ steps vs. 2.
Being able to select and transform across components/ groups would be killer, for me at least.
object tagging for selection / visibility reduces layer clutter if I can assign tags to objects in addition to having them on a given layer
frozen / unscaling geometry within components - assign tag to geometry inside a component that causes it not to respond to a certain kind of transformation. For instance, this would allow you to have a single component of a picture frame, with a profile for the frame, that would maintain the profile when the frame is scaled as desired. (yes, I know there are [marginally satisfactory] workarounds). AND many differently sized instances of the frame component would only be 1 component.
improved component/ group swapping for things like LOD or cabinetry options

COLOR: I’d love to have the ability to delete a color and replace it with another color of my choosing rather than with the default color.

[quote=“Modern_Man, post:112, topic:3642, full:true”]
COLOR: I’d love to have the ability to delete a color and replace it with another color of my choosing rather than with the default color.
[/quote] There are several Plugins to do this material ‘swapping’: e.g.

TIG, Thanks for the quick response and the link, but I’d much rather have it as part of the program than to have to create an account on another site, pay, download and install a plug-in to get it to do something that should be an easy addition to the program. Of course, if SketchUp doesn’t add it and I get frustrated enough, I’d be willing :wink:

you can already do it natively if you use ‘edit’ instead of ‘remove’…

do you want a gif? just click this link

1 Like

It is actually free to join SketchUcation - find the link in the text about membership - the low-cost paid membership offers SCF Shop discounts, many freebies etc - there is a link to apply for a free starter-membership, which still allows downloads for hundreds of Plugins not available elsewhere… and participation in most SCF forums etc…

My PluginStore’s entries are also ‘free’ - although a donation never goes amiss!
So apart from a little effort on your part a solution to your issue already exists…
But if you’d rather not it’s your choice - no one is forcing you to do anything…

There are literally hundreds of functions not included in SketchUp.
For many years Plugins/Extensions have filled these gaps.
The simplicity of the base-level SketchUp is one of its strengths.
Adding too many native features just fall into the trap suffered by the bloated CAD packages that SketchUp beats on many levels…

John. Thanks. Yes, I know about that workaround, but sometimes it would be nice to just completely replace a color rather than have it reassigned as a duplicate of an existing swatch.

TIG, Thanks for the clarification.

sorry, I don’t understand what you mean, in the gif I am replacing the color with a completely new color selected from a different Library?

can you clarify how you imagine it would work differently?

John, What I meant is that I want to eliminate a swatch from the colors palette, but rather than it being replaced with the default, it would allow me to choose any of the other colors in that model as a replacement. I believe the way you show would leave me with two swatches of the same color (or am I mistaken?).

I’m looking for a way to edit down the number of similar colors in a model. I find that when I use models (components) created by others in a model I am creating, I often end up with five or six swatches of chrome, for example, and it would be nice to have a simple way to assign all of them to one swatch.

In Maya I think there is a feature where you can have it select all faces that are using a particular shader, and then you can change all of them in one go. Would something like that help? The sequence would be to select an entry in a swatch you plan to get rid of, have SketchUp select all faces that use that color, then in the master swatch, the one you want to keep, you would select the same looking color, and have SketchUp apply it to all currently selected faces.