Same SketchUp you love, a new way to buy

NO, it is NOT a better way!!!

5 Likes

I did the same, but I started back at version 6!

What about my perpetual license? Will it continue to work if I do not chose to pay you more money for it?

yes it will

2 Likes

DO

NOT

WANT

8 Likes

What about the maintenance package I just paid for, is it still good till it runs out?

yes it is

please read the release and the related FAQ

Well, you just lost this old timer. I will use what I have.

6 Likes

You guys just did AutoDESK a great favor! I will brush up on my Revit!

3 Likes

I’d hate to break it to you, but unless you already have an old licence lying around, you’re back to square one as they are subscription only as well.

1 Like

The Maint & Supp has not increased in cost for at least 4 or 5 years from what I can tell. While that was probably appreciated by all users, it may have been a better approach to steadily increase the support costs over the years. In that case we wouldn’t be suffering the same sticker shock that we are faced with now.
If Trimble offered a ‘Pro Light’ subscription, at an intermediate price ($199?), that just included desktop without all the other fluff, I think that would be attractive for those of us that need Layout.
Thoughts?

11 Likes

Hello Julian -

I do and I already knew that. When I work, the Architects are demanding it more and more, soooooo I will quit trying to convince them to try SketchUp.

Micheal

2 Likes

And student licenses are free. My Inventor and civil 3d are anyway.

1 Like

Or have units and pay what you choose to use. eg. One unit is $120 a year, If you buy two, you can choose to run Shop and LayOut or just SketchUp, but not at the same time. A company could buy more units, and have access to Sefaira or Trimble’s point cloud extension, as well.

1 Like

This software is dead!

Autodesk Fusion 365 offers parametric and free modeling, technical documentation, online and local rendering and imports SketchUp 2020 designs. It costs 495 USD/year for professionals but can be used for free for non-commercial applications. Autodesk Revit costs 450 USD/year and offers state of the art integration, accelerated GPU processing, and outstanding rendering and post processing options right out from the box.

The NEW Sketchup offers… a 3D engine that dates from the late 2000s when it was owned by Google. It still struggles to to handle minimum amounts of polygons and never learned how to use the potential of modern graphics cards or multiple processors + a standard toolbox that is almost useless without plugins + import/export features that barely work (try to get AutoCAD texts aligned) + an add-on application for 2D documents that looks and behaves like the old Corel Draw + no rendering tools (we have to pay a few hundred dollars extra for that). For just… 300 dollars per year?

Two years ago I paid for my yearly license maintenance and got…dashed lines. This year for my 120 dollars I got two minor updates that did not had any impact in my productivity. I am over!

If Trimble thinks they are ready to compete with Autodesk in the SaaS model good luck to them! Let’s see who offers more for the same dollars…

15 Likes

What will happen to SketchUp Make 2017 after November 4? I teach SketchUp and up to now I have had my students use that free version. If it disappears, it will have a severe negative impact on my teaching.

1 Like

A subscription plan that offered similar software capabilities to the Classic/Perpetual license, and which was priced around $100-$150 USD, would be attractive to some people. However, it would still have the critical weakness that when you cancel the subscription the software stops working and your models are largely locked away from you (unless they are trivial enough to be manipulated with SketchUp Free on the web).

Not to mention one cycle (I think it was SU2018) absolutely zero maintenance releases were offered, even though they were needed, and the new version it was late by a good few months.

I know how this will end for classic license users… In one year our outdated softwares will be unable to open the file formats used by the newer versions. Because the import/export feature of SK2020 is still buggy we will never be able to move our projects to another platform without losing details and having to rework them…

1 Like

This news is saddening.

2 Likes