Safe frame cancel changes camera field of view

Hi
I have a scene including safe frame.
When I cancel the safe frame - the scene is changed. Especially the distance of the camera.
I want to cancel safe frame, yet having all the rest with no change.
Why is it changed?
How can I solve it?
Thanks
Rachel

If you’re using advanced camera tools, the clear aspect ratio button also resets the view to the default camera. To keep the current advanced camera and not see the safety bars, you could make the window be less wide.

Thank you
Can you please explain what you mean by “make the window be less wide”?
I don’t understand…

Come out of being Maximized, then point at the right edge of the window and drag left, to make the window be narrower.

OK I understand, but that is not what I want.
I want to cancel the safe frame in order to see all the viewport, but same camera,
with no move of the view.
I need it on and off…
Is it possible somehow?
May be there is a plugin for this purpose?

I think I understand. But there is a good chance that I don’t understand too.

Do you want to take an advanced camera view and switch to a non-advanced camera view, that looks exactly the same, and also without the safety borders?

I don’t know if there is an easy built in solution, but I think that if you could grab the advanced camera, and then set the standard view to those values, it might be possible.

@ene_su knows a lot more about this stuff than I do. Hopefully she will have some ideas.

I’ve struggled to master Advanced Camera Tools for a while and seem to have exhausted the help pages to learn any more, but as I’ve been experimenting, I may have a clue about this. The short answer is to have two scenes from the exact same viewpoint, but one is an ACT scene and one isn’t, but SU is messing up with focal length.

I reported in another thread here, that I believe under normal operation, what SketchUp reports as focal length is actually wrong. It’s off by a factor of 1.5x, at least if it’s assuming a standard 35mm still camera. Things with the camera work differently under ACT and Match Photo than normal operation. When you make an ACT camera, what it reports is the correct focal length. This test file here is still a work in progress. All of this is based on a 35mm still camera or full frame digital equivalent:

This is native tools and vertical angle of view set correctly for 24mm lens (SU will report this as 36mm)

When you create an ACT camera, it then sets the focal length to 36mm (actual).

This is ACT after resetting the focal length to 24mm.

If you don’t change any parameters and simply create a new scene (not duplicate), SU uses an angle of view for what it calls “24mm”, but actually corresponds to 16mm.

If you use the Zoom tool and set the angle of view to 51.3* or what SU calls “36mm” you get back to the same view.

So, is this not a bug?

It is, I think, mainly the old thing that SketchUp uses the vertical angle of the view when the viewport aspect ratio varies. ACT has the aspect ratio fixed so it can calculate its FOV using the view diagonal as in physical cameras. The two different definitions never match.

1 Like

I haven’t dug into this but there are some things I could think of.

“Focal length” isn’t used as much to tell the distance between the lens and the focal point as it is a way to tell the field of view. Once upon a time physical films were used in cameras and the size was standardized. I think it was 24 mm high or something. With a constant size of the film, the focal length only varies with the field of view, and it became a measurement for the field of view. Today cameras have much, much smaller sensors, that also differs between models, but we still use “focal length” to tell the angle.

I’m thinking one of these values might be a calculated from field of view and whatever the old standard size of the film was, and the other be an “actual” distance between the lens and film/sensor for the specific camera that has been chosen.

I haven’t confirmed this though. Just writing from memory now.

Anssi’s theory may be better. SketchUp by default measures the angle horizontally to crop/expand on the sides when you resize the window. I think photography either uses the horizontal angle or the diagonal by default.