Rotate block from corner using opposite edge for snap

Hello All, I am trying to rotate a block. The axis of rotation is its lower right corner, I then want to use its upper edge as a reference to another point. So its top edge would be inline to this point, I cannot seem to figure this out without doing a bunch of math and using angles to rotate.

Thanks

How about sharing the .skp file so we can see exactly what you are trying to accomplish?

Don’t use math. Most likely SketchUp will have an accurate way to do what you want.
Your description doesn’t make the desired result clear enough. Share a file as @DaveR asked above.

Definitely not enough info for a correct answer, one option tho is the magenta inference.
Although this is pro it will work the same in web.
GIF 30-12-2021 10-12-17 AM

1 Like

Another possible interpretation:

Rotate the block about a bottom corner so its upper edge is in line with the point?

Extend the edge by a line beyond the target point, as drawn.

Draw an arc centred on the pivot point, to intersect the extended edge:

Rotate the block and line from the intersection point to the target point:

Sorry for the lack of description, I’m not sure how to explain it. How do I record the screen to show what I’m trying to do?

There are various screen recorders, many people like Licecap.

Not sure if this will work, here you can see I have basically a roof rafter that I want to rotate about its lower right corner and snap its top edge to the top of the block at the lower left.

Use the ‘Pie’ tool to set up the appropriate endpoints to then rotate the block, endpoint to endpoint:

1 Like

As @Wo3Dan shows, the Pie tool is a great way to establish the correct angle in a case like this. An alternative would be to draw the rafter at the desired angle in the first place and skip rotating it altogether.

Ah, I will give the pie tool a try.

I originally was just setting it to an angle, however the angle was not always known and math ensued. I’d rather sketch up snap to a point. When I gave it angles and built off those dimensions I would end up with compounding errors as the model got more complex.

The pie tool is an extra step but looks easy and faster than measuring and doing math.

Thank you Wo3Dan the pie tool worked great for this only adding one step and no MATH.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.