Request for Linux?

I have never seen an application with GTK interface that I liked. (Hated in fact.) But then I’ve always seen them run under Windows.

I love the look of QT (ref LibreCAD & QCAD),… but it seems incredibly expensive for commercial projects, ie $350.00/month/developer. (Sure it is free for open source projects, but SketchUp is not one.)

@DanRathbun:

Agreed that QT defaults looks sleek and that its probably not a wise choice for commercial projects unless you are already familiar with it and therefore can save a lot of coding time while reaping the multiplatform advantage.

But GTK+ can just as well be skinned with themes to look like anything you want it to, even on Windows.

Default theme since mid-2014 is named Adwaita and doesn’t look that bad IMHO.

What you might be referring to is the pre-2014, downright ugly default named Raleigh which was created by Red Hat and carbon-14 dated back to the precambrian era… :slight_smile:

All in all, UX Design is both an art and a science. Any toolkit can yield the best as well as the worst, given the right/wrong hands…!

1 Like

I would like to see Sketchup for LinuxMint (17.x) deb. But its running OK from my bootable 3.0USB stick under wine.

+1 for Linux, preferably something work-able with the Debian branch of things, in my case, I live on Ubuntu.

It’d be sweet if they could make a pure javascript rendition and it just runs out of the browser. That being said, I also go offline for long stretches, so if the javascript engine could be downloaded, that’d be ideal.

1 Like

I would like to add my name for a request of sketchup for linux. I use Debian.

Thank you

good, add your vote as well to the SketchUp Linux survey: Vote

I presently run Make in Virtual Box and win 7-1 … Under Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit on my laptop
If I had the money for buying this program I would . . I am presently trying to get something going so I can use / buy the Pro version. . haha get the buy window every time I start Make 2016 version . . So one day I will push the buy button as it is on my Bucket list of things to get done . . ( being way past 70 makes it a short list of things )
And .deb version would fit very well in Ubuntu . . As Blender has a VERY long Learning Curve . .

You have it running from a flash drive ? WOW and under Wine . . I went to using Virtual Box and Win 7-1 for running it . . Gives me a lot more control as to what resources it can use . . I limit it to 2 of the CPU’s and only 1.5 gig of ram and since it is on a laptop 120 megs of video for windows to use and 136 megs left for Ubuntu . . not screaming fast but I get there and have opened some files which they ( the ones running this group said I could never open )

please Linux port

would love to use program but have been using Ubuntu last 5 years …

Ubuntu or Cent OS
I have seen people managing to install older versions of Sketchup on Linux in Wine environment, this did not work for me.
Would it be possible or maybe easier to develop Sketchup for Linux in such way so it would work well in Wine? This way the developers would not have to worry about rebuilding the whole application for a different operating system. Let Wine take care of it.

+1 for the Linux version. I am an architect and have switched all my machines to Linux (Fedora). I have a Windows 7 license running in a virtual machine and the ONLY reason I’m doing that is for SketchUp. I’m running Make right now but if there was a native version offered I would gladly pay for the Pro license.

As for the Linux market share, it may be small right now but it is growing. Netmarketshare shows an increase from 1.63% to 2.33% over the last year. It might not look like much, but Apple had a 4% share back in 2006, when SketchUp for Mac was announced (they’re at just under 8% now).

1 Like

I fully agree, I really really need a native Sketchup app for Linux (deb for example). Currently I’m forced to use other Linux alternatives.

I am looking forward to the app in Linux with .rpm or .deb if the source is not made available for a native build.

1 Like

Agree, .deb and .rpm is also fine, better then nothing…

Bump, Linux version please

I agree . . Would make deleting Windows out of Virtual Box FUN . .And never more to have to deal with the malware, virus and bot loaded O/S called Windows ! . . A .run version is almost across the spectrum of Linux . . But I would like to see a .deb version . .They have a Mac version and Mac is not very different from a .deb version . . ( I run Ubuntu 15.10 64 bit but older version as 16.04 has bugs yet ) Been there twice and twice have gone back to 15,10 as some bug which caused some problem some place . .

They aren’t reserved for Windows?!

Not true at all. The GUI and system libraries on Mac are vastly different from Linux.

Was a video Problem which made a mess of my laptop screen …some where it got wrong driver or something installed for running Linux . . Never ever had that happen before . . haha just poke at windows they have some windows programmers working for Linux and so !

Oh Okay was given the Ideal that Mac was not to different from .deb . . I know I can add Mac in Virtual Box . .