Printing a building - how to merge walls

Hello all,

I have a question about 3D printing.
I have never done this and I need to print a tiny building of 14x10x7 com or so.

I have made walls and floors and a roof.
All of thse abjects are individual groups and solid. A column (group 1) for example is attached to a wall (group 2)

If i convert this to .stl will this print right? Or do I need to merge all the groups?
The thing is, the groups dont intersect. They all are just attached to the surfaces of eachother.
see below

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Tim

Usually a printable model should be one solid and not have holes. As of SketchUp’s definition, a solid is a group/component with one closed, connected, hollow mesh of faces (no stray edges, no nested groups/components). You can check whether something is a SketchUp solid in the Entity Info dialog, and you can inspect why something is not a SketchUp solid with Solid Inspector.

However many 3d printing softwares can sometimes layout G-code paths through models that are not perfect solids, or can fix issues. The general solid requirement is to be sure you can print it with any printer (although printers may have specific requirements on wall thickness, size of details, overhangs).

To merge solids, use SketchUp’s “Outer Shell” feature (context menu or Tools → Solid Tools → Outer Shell in both SketchUp Make and Pro). It can handle solids that touch at one face, or that intersect.

Ok. thanks for the reply.
That means that I can make it one mass if I make the inside a solid mass.

I did try to make 1 solid out of two group-solids which only share 1 surface and that works.
So that is already very helpful. It means I can merge all the facade elements in 1 solid mass.

The oonly problem are the hang-overs on the left but I suppose I need to ask that to the 3D company.

Thanks for the help!