Posting a model

In a number of posts on this forum the request is made to “post the model” so that the reader can better understand the problem.

How does one go about posting a .skp file as part of a topic?

Probably the best way is to upload it to the 3D Warehouse and post the url. You could also use one of the many free cloud drives to upload the model and once again post a url.

-Gully

1 Like

You also can attach a number of files to your post. There is an upload icon in the rely box or use the shortcut Ctrl-G. File size is limited though. If the SKP is large, it will have to be hosted at another location.

Best way is to use your on space in a hosting solution since uploads are done in 2 clicks and hosting space is big (10Gb). Another solution would be a FileShare, here is an example, http://www.filefactory.com

heh… i kind of think the best way is to drag&drop a .skp into this reply box … definitely the easiest way at least.

1 Like

It’s worth noting that as Jeff says, Drag and drop or the upload button at the top of the reply box, 7th Icon from the left, looks like a bar with an arrow pointing up, are the best option.
The maximum file size for an upload here is basically 3mb, anything over that and you need to fileshare or warehouse it.
Don’t forget to Purge your skp files to reduce size, simply deleting components and materials doesn’t remove them from the file, You need to Purge Unused to clean them out totally.

I understood in the previous posts that there is a limit which now has been explained by @Box that it is a cool 3MB which meets most of the needs, but if its over the limit. Taking that into account, the question is “Whats the best way?”

i get that… and i know there are times (obviously) when models larger than 3MB need to be flung throughout the interwebs… in which case use dropbox etc or whatever…

but the original post says:

[quote]In a number of posts on this forum the request is made to “post the model” so that the reader can better understand the problem.

How does one go about posting a .skp file as part of a topic?[/quote]

if you’re wanting help with a model and it’s larger than 3MB, it’s too big… the helpee should have some expectations put on them such as purging and/or eliminating large textures… getting rid of the parts of the model which are irrelevant to the question etcetc…

it’s not really cool to be like:

“push/pull doesn’t work on this surface… here’s a 65MB download so you can help me understand what the problem is” :wink: