PDF import to Sketchup

*iirc * something between 50-100 bucks… you’re probably required to contact them (German SU distributor) for a valid pricing.

True, it is free, but the adobe acrobat pro is useful for a lot of other functions such as taking a specific sheet from a pdf that’s several pages long, compiling pdfs etc. Why waste time online on these functions trying to save a buck when you can easily do it on your computer? It’s a tool I use frequently when working on plans.

G

1 Like

If there is a PDF plugin for SU - PDF2SKP on Windows that does both raster and vector imports, how is it possible that Windows does not support PDF intergration into SU itself?..

There’s something seriously askew with the information coming from Trimble about this. Am I missing something?..
…and the really interesting thing is that this plugin is coming from an official SU reseller!!

Hi Gerretw!

I understand adobe can be a more powerful program. In Inkscape you can also take out a specific page or the whole document. Its not online based it a application on you computer.

RR

short answer :

Windows choose not to include such a tool natively. And Trimble choose to use native tools only.
here you go. and other companies and devs choose otherwise. because they are independent from trimble and windows and make their own choices.

longer is here, but I'm basically just quoting previous messages from this thread.

PDF import to Sketchup - #14 by ateliernab

I mean, the answer was pretty simple.
PDF import to Sketchup - #9 by TheOnlyAaron
Mac os has a native tool, windows does not, SU choose not to pay for an extra tool and use what’s natively available, besides, SU it built around the idea of getting extensions for anything extra.

Why don’t trimble then buy such an extension and make it native to SU ? good question. here are some elements of answer
PDF import to Sketchup - #15 by ateliernab

I have inkscape, but haven’t had much luck with it. I found acrobat 9 pro easier to use, G

The post from PDF import to Sketchup - #9 by TheOnlyAaron was quite ambiguous for me actually, hence the continued questioning. Simple for some, not so much for others.

I still firmly believe that this PDF import functionality should be taken care of by Trimble as a BASE function inside SU itself. If Windows SU developers can do it easily enough, then Trimble can do it with both eyes closed. It is a fundamentally required base function, period.

The problem of licensing costs in this case to use the PDF format should be worn by Trimble for the sake of its users. I can understand why small developers do not do it, because it costs to much to get a license.

So in response, Trimble CAN do it but WON’T do it. That’s the crux of it.

1 Like

More than likely this would in turn be passed down to the user. How many free accessories do you get when you buy a car? NONE!

1 Like

Plenty of other companies pay for this, some smaller than Trimble and some larger.

wrong answer:

1 Like

Today I had to design some signing in Archicad. I got the client’s logo into my design by simply importing a PDF with it and exploding it. For SketchUp or LayOut I would have to have gone through some third party application to get a file that could be imported, with perhaps an hour of wasted work. Importing and exporting ought to be as simple as push-pull.

1 Like

While waiting for a hypothetical native import of vector PDFs into Sketchup, here is my workflow to get this type of file :
PDF > pConPlanner > Sketchup
pConPlanner is a small software whose free version allows, on one hand to import PDF files (with the possibility to scale it to 1) and on the other hand to export directly to Sketchup.
Also works well with DXF or DWG files.
The manipulation time is very reduced, the learning is minimal and the result is very satisfactory.

2 Likes

The thing I don’t understand about this request is that PDF is not an interchange format, it’s a format for document delivery.

It’s like putting images inside a word document and then emailing that, rather than simply sending the images.

3 Likes

And Layout should be able to import other vector files. PDF, WMF, SVG (free btw) etc.

My story exactly. Unfortunately, my autorenewal for Draftsight hit right before I learned about Qcad. Will definitely make the switch before it hits next year.

Sketchup for iPad now has PDF import btw.

As a graphic designer, I’ve too often received images inside a word or powerpoint document.

there are good practices. and practices untrained / unsmart people do.

Raster import. Honestly no better than a jpg.

2 Likes

And sometimes a PDF is all you get. And on those times when you get a vector PDF it can make all the difference in the world! In another life I did store planning for a certain Doughnut company. We were in the process of planning our Doughnut shops in a handful of Wal-Marts in the South East. We got PDFs and nothing more. I called over to the VP that brokered the deal and explained that we needed CAD files. These stores were new enough that CAD files should have been available. I was told this is what we get and get it done.

2 Likes

Does anyone have an installer for SketcupPro 2019? It seems that was the last version that was able to import vector based files. I have 2023 but everything gets rasterized on import. Tried exporting a PDF to DXF using InkSpace but I lose several pieces of the PDF this way.