Outliner # issue

Hello,
I use sketchup for event design. What we do is we have individual file for every single asset and then we import assets into our main file for placing and arranging.

When I reload asset onto our main file, I notice that there is a # behind the component name in outliner. I am wondering if there is any way to get rid of the “#”?

thanks in advance! I am quite new to sketchup, hope I didn’t get all the naming wrong. But this image should show you what I mean:
Capture|184x36

I presume you mean the hash symbol between the 16 and the 1? Isn’t that the component name that you (or someone) has given it? What happens if you select it and try changing the name to something else?

The #1 indicates this is the second component definition with the same name. To get rid of it you can rename the component in Entity Info. You’ll need to purge the model of the first component with that name however if you want to call this latest instance by the same name.

The same sort of thing happens when an instance of a component is made unique. The new component will get the # and a number appended to it.

Hi! I only named it WALL-16. Every time I reloaded an updated version, the # becomes #1, #2, #3, etc…I think it is showing how many times I have reloaded the object?

It works if I change the name to something else, but I really need to show the name as it is “WALL-16”.

I see! let me give this a try. Thank you!

1 Like

Try purging the file of the previous components called WALL-16. Click on the Details menu button in the Components window.

Screenshot%20-%206_21_2019%20%2C%2012_12_04%20PM

One thing to note is if you have modified WALL-16 in your project file, the definition will be different from the source file. If the first WALL-16 is being used in the model, you won’t be able to purge it. You can’t have different components with the same name so you would need to do something with the naming convention to differentiate between them.

Just tried your suggestion. It worked! Yeah!

So every time I reload an updated version “WALL-16”, even it is the same source file, same geometry, same location…there is no way sketchup could recognize that they are literally the same file, but just an updated version. Instead I will have to go through getting rid of the old one(or the old name), and then putting the new version in?

I think that’s basically it. Why do you have to reload the component so frequently? If you are editing the component, why not just edit it in place in the larger model? That would save you a lot of work and it would prevent you from editing the basic WALL-16 component. If you want to keep a copy of the modified WALL-16 component for later use, that’s easily done. Give it a new name that reflects the changes to it.

By larger model I am assuming you mean the main file(event layout) where we eventually place WALL-16 and do rearrangement.

well…as I mentioned before, we do event planning. We have couple different venues with shared assets between few designers. So when one of us update an asset, we want to make sure we do it at the source file, so the other designers could also update their event layout with the updated asset and correct tag name.

These ‘assets’ are the inserted components, I presume. You should use the same library location on the server or cloud.
Look for Wall-16, insert it in your ‘main’ model and copy or drag it out the ‘In Model’ collection in the component browser (click the little house icon, you can use the expand (down arrow) button to have another collection of your liking opened in the component browser.

When the asset has changed and is saved on the same location on the server, you can reload all wall-16 components at once by right-clicking on an instance and choose ‘Reload’
It will prompt for the path were it was once loaded from.

Another approach is to have a ‘working file’ for the assets, for example, for all Wall components of a specific type or manufacturer. When a change is due for pricing or height etc. you can easily manage them and do a ‘save collection’ from the working file.

It is never a good idea to actually do changes in the component file itself, because there might be information on the Model level’ instead of the component level (open a saved component and see how the ‘wrapper’ is gone)

We have been doing exactly as you said, saving assets/components at the same location on the server and then reloading it. But then when we reload, the component name becomes #1, #2, #3.

Are they dynamic components? Can you upload an example file with the wall-16 ?