Outliner in SU 2020

Re: filters. Would a minus sign preceding a term denote filter out, and no sign or a plus denote filter everything but the term ?

Filter feature would be huge benifit… yes do it … eg the selection plugin (by TomTom?) I use constantly… an example of how filtering speeds up workflow

I’m sorry. Who in the world thought it was a good idea to make that ridiculous outliner worse. Can someone at SU team please explain the end game here.

The use of filters can be expanded to different kind of tags, too.
eg. Classifications, ADvanCed-attributes or Tags.
@IFCbeam’ would show all beams.
‘#Owner=“Jack”’ would display all objects that are owned by Jack.
‘&Level1’ would display all object on Tag ‘Level1’

And have the option to ‘Show only’ or ‘Show anything else’

1 Like
1 Like

This feature was/is crucial in my workflow, and the lack of it puts SketchUp 2020 out of the game for me. Dealing with big files without the ability to control visibility in the outliner is a nightmare. I just can’t understand why would you change that? What are the benefits compared to the previous behavior?

Interesting. That feature always frustrated me. I like the new outliner design because I can see my whole model structure regardless of what object is open.

In my workflow, the way now Outliner working is really a nightmare.

I would like to give Outliner a try but …

• normally there are hundreds maybe thousands of objects (groups and components) in my single file, so I have to scroll down and down and down to search for one object, which slow down my work quite a lot.

• I know I can group objects, but in this case I have to double click in the main window say 5 or 6 times to reach a single object.

• and to make my object’s organized, renaming objects is a good idea, but I’ve got thousands of them …

I wish I can group objects in Outliner but NOT in the main modeling window. Grouping in Outliner is just a method of organizing in Outliner only.

Or better a real tagging system, meaning that I can apply multiple tags to a single object, not like the tag (previous ‘layer’) now in SU2020.

1 Like

Hi @ChrisDizon Chris,

Take a look at the images below.
On a daylong usage basis, which one do you think will cause less eyestrain.

I’m curious why adding the eyes in 2020 necessitated creating such visual clutter.
• Omitting the dotted paths makes it hard to follow.
• Especially when the sub-components are out of column as they are.

Kindly add those items to the feature enhancement list.

2019 Outliner

2020 Outliner

2 Likes

Geo

… done

3 Likes

MacBook Pro 10.15.4, SU Pro 20.0.362. In the 2020 Outliner, there is another issue. The number of characters displayed is less than in 2019. In 2010, the limit is 32 characters by my count and in 2019, 122 seems to be the limit. This is a problem in my models since I tend to use very descriptive group instances and nest many components/groups, which means a lot or characters. The unshown characters are not lost since they show up correctly in the Entity Info window, they are just not displayed.

In an earlier post, there was discussion about the new “feature” of showing all components/groups regardless of whether they were hidden or not. One of the solutions suggested was to nest things into other things. Well, you will bump up against this limitation very quickly while trying to work around an unnecessary new “feature” in 2020.

Please put in a feature request to revert back to the limit that was used in 2019.

can you post an example?

Hi Mike,

Attached is an example file with a long named component (SU 2019) and the screen shots from both 2019 and 2020.su outliner char limit.skp (21.0 KB)

Is this a Mac issue?

I downloaded your file and don’t seem to be getting your problem.

I’m on Windows.

It is not uncommon for these things to happen to us Mac users; I have no way to know if that is what happens here, but it does seem likely since you don’t get the problem. Let’s see who else weighs in. Thanks.

I see the same as the OP in SU2020 on Mac Mojave.

Then, it should be reported as bug, I guess, not as FR.

Hi Mike, I created a new topic listing this as a bug and referred to this topic. Unfortunately, I broke one of my own rules and changed the subject in the middle of a discussion. thanks.

1 Like

This has been logged in our internal bug tracker.

1 Like