Out of the Box

Good idea.

These would suit a steam sewing machine, organ or computer, if such existed (organs did). Steam chic.

3 Likes

That’s one of the things that makes the steam age such a draw for anyone with an interest in design. They didn’t just make stuff that worked, they made it aesthetically pleasing too. So many objects have superfluous decorations just there to make it pleasing to the eye. Even when castings needed to be made with holes in them to reduce weight and material costs they designed them with elaborate flower motifs and such. It was a bad day for the eye when someone first made something to be nothing more than practical.

6 Likes

A very hot morning doodle for no other reason than trying to stay out of the heat.
I wonder how many will understand what the motif is. It animates horizontally, vertically and even diagonally.
I had a go at recording it animated but getting the frame rate right without causing seizures was impossible.
This one is like that old horse racing lampshade.
2023-02-11_15h19_48
Sorry about the watermark.

6 Likes

A governor… :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Of which province, though…? :grin:

1 Like

A bit of fun, haven’t done a staircase for a while.

13 Likes

Excellent :+1: Always cool to see your approach to modeling.

1 Like

Is the inner spiral staircase going to be for narrow minded customers?

1 Like

Beautiful!!

1 Like

The collective noun for sconces must be a Flight of.

12 Likes

It’s great to see things that are “out of the Box” Very cool :+1:

1 Like

At first I thought I was looking at hummingbirds. Really beautiful.

3 Likes

I wanted to figure out the geometry needed for what is known as a Roving Bridge. This is a bridge that allows the tow path to change sides without needing to unhitch the horse.
As usual I added more detail than needed.

20 Likes

Something in another thread got me hooked.

18 Likes

Very sharp modeling :wink: :+1:

3 Likes

I would have done the knots better but I had already rotated the hooks off axis several ways, so it was a bit tedious to do too many hitches.

1 Like

ahh! the beautiful Hunter Valley… studied Architecture at Newcastle Uni, learned to fly at Warkworth and wrote the environmental impact studies for many of the major projects there… Mt Thorley Opencut, Kurri Kurri expansion, Ironbark colliery… walked them all

1 Like

I was going to do a fancy egg for Easter, but I simply ran out of time.

13 Likes

Led astray by something in another thread once again.

8 Likes