New iMac with Sierra OS and SU

I have a 2012 iMac 27". It is running Sierra with no problems. I also upgraded my iMac to 12 gigabyte of ram. I love my iMac!!!

1 Like

Use SuperDuper. Then mount the SuperDuper backup and use migration assistant to move your applications and files.

Hmm, I bought my new iMac, but it won’t arrive until May 17-19. The Apple Genius (as they’re self-proclaimed) said I can restore from my existing 1GB backup using Time Machine, then power down, swap to my new 2TB backup(!) and Time Machine will see it and use that to backup from then on.

The machine is top-of-the-line, with 32GB RAM, 4GB on the video, 512MB flash and 2TB HD, 5k video, 27" screen.

I was in the position as you 8 months ago. A 2009 iMac! I purchased a new 27" unit with max. RAM and standard HDD. The OS is Sierra and has problems occasionally like display fonts go crazy (lots of ???) and Safari does not work right on some sites. I end up restarting about once every two weeks. SU works much better because of new iMac. I am a woodworker so not an extreme SU user. Remember, it is not Windows–Upgrade!

This is my iMac.

I use SU and LO and keep the version updated. My largest models are about 100MB, and perhaps double that for the LO files. I have experienced no operation problems, and I love the big high resolution screen. It has only locked up once, when I downloaded a ridiculously large model of a component from the warehouse.

Thanks everyone.
My current largest model is 270MB, and though we are in the process of streamlining it at the moment, it may eventually grow to 1GB, unless the machine just can’t handle it first.
There are over 10 million faces, mostly from 3D warehouse stuff, so we are simplifying that greatly. It’s helping, especially on my current 9-year old iMac.

I can confirm this. I just use the same configuration.

Modern SSD’s a very fast and external SSD-HD appear on the market (but still very expensive). The new Macbook Pro with 15" is available with a 2 TB SSD (but quite expensive…).

SO keep the models you are working on the internal SSD and store the other models on an external HD (plus a 2nd HD for backup, of course).

My biggest issues with the iMAC and SU have to do with resolution and that stupid little white tailless mouse.

Resolution is too high for some things. Lines are too thin for my old eyes in my favorite template.

And that mouse is super sensitive. Apple and Trimble point at each other, although I have another app that does the same thing, and I suspect Apple is dodging the whole topic. Best I’ve gotten so far from anyone is to use a wired mouse. Really?

I just got a new top-of-the-line iMac for SU with 32GB RAM, 5k 4GB video, and 3TB on the hard drive. A 27" screen helps a lot too.
The standard Apple mouse, and keyboard, are nearly useless. It’s like driving a Farrari on those airless emergency tires. You need at least a two button mouse with a trackwheel, and even then maybe something more seamless. The keyboard is better with full key travel and extra keys too.

There are two things you could try.

1 Set Profile edges to 2 or even 3. (Window/Styles/ in Model - Edit tab - Edges. This will thicken edges that outline objects but leaves other edges unchanged. That might help enough to be useful.

2 Change screen resolution to something lower. This will thicken (and coarsen) all edges.

As for the mouse, Scott is right - the Magic Mouse isn’t good for SU. Get yourself a good (or even cheap and not-so-good!) two-or-more-button wireless mouse with a smooth running mouse wheel, that can click the wheel to Orbit, and scroll smoothly and fast to zoom in and out. I use a Logitech M525 wireless mouse, but there are lots of other suitable wireless mice. Does NOT need to be wired.

Thanks, John and others. I’ll get a different mouse and change the line styles.

Dave

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.