[NEW EXTENSION] UrbanAna - Plugin for Urban Design & Planning

We are thrilled to announce the first release of UrbanAna, the innovative urban design & planning software from FrontA.Work. UrbanAna is designed to revolutionize the way architects and urban planners approach Urban design & planning.

Generative design trimmed

Key Features: :fire:

• Generative Design: Efficiently create and refine urban designs with responsive editing tools that adapt to your changes instantly, complemented by generative design capabilities to explore innovative solutions.

• Parametric Modeling & Responsive Editing: Create Urban Massing 3D model with ease by adjusting key parameters to meet your goals. Parametric modeling allows you to define relationships and constraints, resulting in flexible, adaptable designs that respond to changing requirements seamlessly.

• Real-Time Calculations: Get your Urban Report Metrics in real time. Perform real-time calculations to assess various metrics and impacts of your designs instantly, facilitating informed decision-making and efficient planning processes…

Try Free (at) https://fronta.work

What’s new: :tada: (Links jump to the specific forum post without reloading the page)
(30/06/24) 1.2: Export to Excel
(19/06/24) 1.1: Pin Metrics on Viewport, Reload Data
(01/06/24) 1.0: Initial release of UrbanAna

7 Likes

:fire: Watch our key features in action on Youtube!

Here are the demo for our features:

1. Fast modeling with Responsive Editing and Generative Design:
0-generative-design

2. Automatic drawing tools: Street, City Block & Building
1-draw-street-blocks

3. Automatic editing tools: Interactive Editing and instant feedback
2-interactive-editing

4. Parametric Modeling
3-parametric-modeling

5. Real-Time Calculations
4-urban-metrics

4 Likes

Not working on SketchUp 2023 and 2024

扩展程序错误报告
SketchUp:24.0.553
Ruby:3.2.2

扩展程序:UrbanA (1.0.1)
错误:Errno::ENOENT (No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/i18n/chinese.json)
C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/json.rb:14:in readlines' C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/json.rb:14:in read_json_file’
C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/json.rb:62:in parse_json_file' C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/validation.rb:210:in get_default_urbana_language’
C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/validation.rb:222:in update_text' C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/validation.rb:255:in module:Translator’
C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/validation.rb:214:in <module:UrbanA>' C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/validation.rb:112:in ’
C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/validation.rb:2:in RGLoader_load' C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/validation.rb:2:in <top (required)>’
C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/loader.rb:44:in load' C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/loader.rb:44:in module:UrbanA’
C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/loader.rb:2:in <encoded>' C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/loader.rb:2:in RGLoader_load’
C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA/lib/ruby/loader.rb:2:in <top (required)>' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in load' C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA.rb:17:in register_extension’
C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA.rb:17:in <module:UrbanA>' C:/Users/xwtao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2024/SketchUp/Plugins/UrbanA.rb:3:in <top (required)>’

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! We have resolved the error in the latest version (1.0.2) :wink:. Please download and install it from the link below:

https://fronta.work/urbanana/rbz

1 Like

Yes, Now it’s working.

2 Likes

Clever name. You are :banana:

1 Like

Thank you for extension @UrbanAna

1 Like

You spotted the Easter Egg in our name. Hope you enjoy that little detail :wink:

Hi Michal, how have you been doing with our product? Is there anything I can help you with? Feel free to let me know if you need more time to experience :+1:

Hi Tao! How has your experience with our product been so far? If there’s anything you need assistance with, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Also, if you need more time to explore, just let me know :+1:

Our roadmap is now public! :rocket::sparkles: We’re thrilled to share our future plans with you. Your feedback has been invaluable in shaping our journey, and we’re committed to making UrbanAna even better.
Check it out here: https://fronta.work/roadmap
Please keep sharing your thoughts to help us stay on the right path. Feel free to direct message us anytime for any questions or suggestions!

My thoughts:

The street tool is really handy. But is there a limitation on the amount of street you can draw?Mine seemed to reach a limit and then not allow me to draw any more.

The street/road type library needs to be reasonably complex to cover things like different lane configurations, cycle paths, car parks, etc. If roads could draw using the Arc tool then that would be great. I think the roads need to explode and then report as Areas (because Roading Area is a key project parameter).

Take a look at some of the parametric Street/Urban Design live components available in the SketchUp 3d Warehouse.

I would probably pay for a street design tool alone…maybe you can develop that as a standalone tool?

The rest of the tools don’t seem as useful to me, since we have our own workflows that we adopt design parameters, and generate reports/data according to our specific project/regional context.

Complex buildings are always prepared with a client/purpose in mind - the unique conditions that create these buildings would be extremely difficult to capture in a parametric tool. So if I were you I would focus on simple Typology-based modelling, and some really good Excel outputs.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback.

Regarding the street tool, there is currently no limit on the amount of street you can draw. If you encountered an issue where you couldn’t draw more streets, it seems like a bug. We will investigate this and provide updates accordingly.

We appreciate your suggestion on the street/road type library. We will add more controls and reporting for roads.
We’re excited to hear that you’d consider paying for a standalone street design tool. Currently, the street tool is simplified designed for quick urban feasibility studies. As we continue to enhance its features, we definitely plan to release it as a standalone tool.

Regarding the rest of the tools, we understand that complex buildings are often tailored to specific client needs and unique conditions, which can be challenging to capture in a parametric tool. Your suggestion to focus on simple typology-based modeling is valuable and aligns with our vision. This is reflected in our Generative Design feature with upcoming typologies.

For Excel, we are working on a live-sync feature and export functionality and will release in weeks.

Thanks again for your thoughtful feedback. You can check out our roadmap to see what we’re working on: fronta.work/roadmap.

Here are the demo for our features:
0-generative-design1-draw-street-blocks2-interactive-editing3-parametric-modeling4-urban-metrics

3 Likes

Release 1.1: Pin Metrics on Viewport, Reload Data

1.1_PinMetrics

What’s New :fire:

• Pin Metrics on Viewport: With this new feature, you can now pin the Urban Metrics Report directly to your viewport. This allows for continuous visibility of critical data while you edit your models, making your workflow smoother and more integrated.

• Reload Data: Sometimes model errors can happen. The new “Reload Data” feature allows you to quickly correct these errors and reload data. Access this feature via Tools > UrbanAna > Reload Data.

Enhancement :clap:

• Bug Reporting: Automatically appears when a bug is detected, allowing you to report issues directly to us for swift resolution and improvements in future updates.

Fix bugs :bug:

• Street Drawing: Resolved an issue where street drawing would halt unexpectedly due to errors. (Thanks to @AK_SAM for reporting this!)
1 Like

Less of an egg and more of a fruit

1 Like

Somehow it reminds me of a function of the (Autodesk) forma tool (former spacemaker).
Looks promising and has piqued my interest :slight_smile:

1 Like

UrbanAna is definitely ripe for puns! :banana:
How has your experience with UrbanAna been so far? If there’s anything you need assistance with, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Thanks, AnnoNiem! We’re glad it caught your interest. Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you need help with UrbanAna.

You can check out our Roadmap :fire: to see what we’re working on: fronta.work/roadmap

Release 1.2: Export to Excel

1.2-Export_Excel

What’s New :fire:

• Export to Excel: Now you can export your Urban Metrics Report directly to Excel for further analysis and sharing.

Fix bugs :bug:

• Link (Street Transition): The transition link between 2 streets of different widths is now fixed.