My model is BLANK!

@hanna I don’t know if you are aware of TIG’s Purge All extension but I find it very useful. This thread has offered some very helpful basic advice about downloading and using components produced by others and I think you will find that being able to purge a drawing quickly and easily will be very useful. Some do it as a matter of course before they close a drawing. Maybe not a bad idea.

And don’t tell @Box he is amazing. It will only go to his head. True as it may be!

1 Like

Purging is very useful, but not always when troubleshooting a file for someone else.
You may be purging things they want.

2 Likes

Currently unused components comes to mind!

2 Likes

I purged unused stuff from the model and got rid of this:
Screenshot%20-%209_10_2018%20%2C%209_13_24%20AM

1 Like

As we all say, purging is good, but if you are troubleshooting a file you may be purging the wrong things.
You can end up purging everything but the parts that are wanted.
Much like if you have a drive failure or similar, stop using it because ever action overwrites the deleted data.

2 Likes

Thanks to all for helping me with this… first time I use a forum/community… and I cant really understand why you guys are doing this… but its unbelievable… really!

Wish all the best!

Speaking for myself, I do it because I have been helped so much by others that I feel a certain duty to reciprocate when I can. Why others do it, I don’t know, but it’s commonly believed that some, like @DaveR, are so dedicated that they actually never sleep! I am in the UK and in a completely different time zone from Dave who is in mid America but I still get replies during my working day from him. Likewise @Box who I believe is in Australia.

Maybe one day you will be fully proficient and be able to give advise to newbies and others yourself.

2 Likes

I have experienced similar issues after importing 2D CAD files where there are drawing entities a long way from the XY plane, i.e. in the Z axis.
As a starting point, I turn off Camera Perspective then select Top View and Zoom Extents. This has allowed me to at least see the entities after which some editing or deleting can make the file more useful.

Dear All,
I just joined the forum and I have the same issue. This morning I tried to continue working on my layout but I found it empty.
Please help!

We might be able to help you if you share the SKP file so we can see what you have.

Hey Rekha,

Send it over I can try see where the problem is.

I have now issue with copying the file.

Two people have offered to help if you add the file.
We are not going to waste time guessing.
You do know that screenshot is showing that you are using the backup file not the actual sketchup file.

1 Like

Dear Hanna,

Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ybk9gy28fgq989v/AADw5YQN8no06HF0NdVknZMia?dl=0

I will be very grateful if you can resolve the issue.

Regards

Rekha

When I try to open that model, SketchUp 2019 crashes immediately. BugSplat crash #0732 submitted.

It’s behaving like there’s a Material without a name, according to the crash stack.

I have started to recreate the model. Thank you everyone for your help.

I looked at your file. According to the statistics the only thing in the file is some materials. No groups, no components, no geometry. I’d say at this point your best course is to start a new model.

Agree with you. Thanks